I know that the most recommended card is class 10 and I've always bought this type. But even within this class there are different speeds. BB is currently selling a SanDisk Ultra 32GB for $34.99 CAD and the same-sized Extreme Plus for more than double that price. The only difference is the r/w speed of the former is 30MBs versus 80MBs for the latter.

I don't have a problem spending $80 on a card (heck, spending 5 times more than that on the tab itself!) but I don't want to do that if there is no noticeable difference and improvement.

Most articles and reviews I've read on card speeds are within the context of digital cameras. I certainly understand why one would need the fastest possible card for a camera (for use with burst modes) so I suspect that for tablets that extra speed won't help and is not needed in normal tablet use. Is this the case?

I am posting this in this forum because one article I read stated to check the devices rated read/write speed and I've looked at all the specs for the Tab S but cannot find this information. Does anyone know this?

Thanks in advance...
    10-22-2014 06:38 AM
    Good question mate, I've been wondering the same puzzle. I've been searching high & low but can't find the answer yet. As of now I'm using the ScanDisk Ultra MicroSDXC 64GB with read speed of 30MB/s.

Posted via Tab S 8.4
    10-22-2014 02:08 PM
    Are you experiencing any issues viewing videos or game playing?

Posted via Android Central App
    10-22-2014 03:20 PM
    As of now there's no issue in watching videos & playing games. My 64 GB card is almost full with video files (movies & TV series). I'm using the Tab to watch videos & play games on a daily basis.

From the A1 SD Bench, my card read & write speed: 33 MB/s & 9 MB/s. I tested out the card in my laptop (using a MicroSD adapter) by copying videos files into the card. The write speed maxed out around 8.35MB/s (close enough to the 9MB/s benchmark by A1 SD Bench).

After reading many of the positive reviews, I'm now considering the Samsung Electronics 64GB PRO Micro SDXC with Adapter Up to 90MB/s Class 10 which is selling at a much cheaper price $50:

Amazon.com: Samsung Electronics 64GB PRO Micro SDXC with Adapter Upto 90MB/s Class 10 Memory Card (MB-MG64DA/AM): Computers & Accessories

From some of the negative comments, the write speed is as good as 20MB/s only which is still better (more than double!) than my current 8.35MB/s (I can save half of my time). That's the worst case scenario. I'm willing to take a gamble & place my bet. Just hope I won't get a lemon or busted unit. What's your thought?

Dynot, what other MicroSD card are you thinking of getting?
    10-23-2014 03:40 AM
    I usually buy SanDisk but I too was think of getting the Samsung Pro. I think we read the same posts, LOL.
    Yk Chin likes this.
    10-23-2014 12:16 PM
    I just got the Samsung 64GB Evo Micro SDXC version.

What read/write speed of a microSD card should I get for the Tab S?-2014-10-31-00.35.03.png

Here's the result using A1 SD Bench app:

What read/write speed of a microSD card should I get for the Tab S?-pic-1.jpg

The write speed is almost double than my Scandisk Ultra:

What read/write speed of a microSD card should I get for the Tab S?-pic-2.jpg
    dynot and sharpdroid like this.
    10-31-2014 04:38 AM
    Interesting that the write speed is double the SanDisk. I wonder if the lower free space has an impact. Did you re-run it and get consistent results?

BB is now offering this same SD card free with the purchase of the tab S. (Not sure where you're located but I'm in Canada so this offer may only be here.) I'm tempted to buy now and take advantage of this offer but I'm still holding out since I'll be out of the country shortly.
    10-31-2014 07:10 AM
    Interesting that the write speed is double the SanDisk. I wonder if the lower free space has an impact. Did you re-run it and get consistent results?

BB is now offering this same SD card free with the purchase of the tab S. (Not sure where you're located but I'm in Canada so this offer may only be here.) I'm tempted to buy now and take advantage of this offer but I'm still holding out since I'll be out of the country shortly.
    Yup, consistent result. I also tested it by transferring a movie file 3.9GB from my laptop to the SD card. The ScanDisk Ultra took 8.8 minutes (8.35MB/s) while the Samsung Evo took 4.48 minutes (14MB/s) to complete the transfer. It's awesome!! Now I can transfer all my movie /TV series files at half of the time.

That's a nice offer from BB. Very tempting offer indeed. Go get it mate! :-)

Posted via Tab S 8.4
    10-31-2014 11:42 AM