By best i mean the galaxy s over the pro. Obviously, the s isnt the best tablet, i just mean should i splurge and get the s for around $300 on black friday from best buy (because i have a $100 giftcard for there) or the pro for $200? Both 8.4 inches, as i like the portability.

Its my first tablet; im sort of thinking maybe using my galaxy s4 phone constantly (and i mean constantly, im always using my phone for something) is dumb when i could be using a tablet. The 8 inch isnt too much bigger than my phone but i dont need a 10 inch tablet for basic stuff im doing.

Maybe a bit of netflix, but thats what my tv is for. Mainly, net browsing, facebook, etc.

The screen on the s is tempting, but so is a $200 tab pro (actually around $100 after my giftcard).

Is the battery a big difference because that could be a dealbreaker, much moreso than the screen difference.

Thanks, sorry if this is the wrong spot for this!
    11-17-2014 03:52 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! When I was researching the Tab Pro vs the Tab S for my wife, it seemed to me that the main differences were the screen (Super AMOLED on Tab S vs TFT LCD on Tab Pro) and the thickness. The Tab S's Super AMOLED is more brilliant and vivid than the Tab Pro, but not amazingly so. The Tab S is slightly thinner than the Tab Pro as well, but probably not very noticeable. They have different SoC's--I have read that the Tab Pro's Snapdragon may actually be a little better than the Tab S's Exynos.

I would probably go with the Tab Pro, unless budget is not an issue at all.
    nrthwds likes this.
    11-17-2014 05:03 PM
    Thanks!

Is the battery on the pro much worse than the s?

I have my phone charging constantly and i want to avoid that.
    11-17-2014 05:05 PM
    Hard for me to compare, but the battery life seems to be generally better than my 2013 Nexus 7.
    11-17-2014 07:36 PM
    Anyone know if the 8.4 inch tab s will be $300 or so on black friday, considering the 10.1 will be $400 and currently the price difference is $100. They haven't said anything about the 8.4 tab s only the 8.4 tab pro (for $200) and with my $100 best buy gift card, a $100 tablet (plus tax) sounds pretty damn good.

The tab s charging time looks to be significantly better than the 5+ hour full charge of the tab pro, so im a little hesitant there. Battery life is by far the biggest thing for me, the amoled screen doesnt matter. The actual battery life of the two seems pretty close.

I am very conflicted; I know an 8.4 inch is for me now do I want to buy the cheaper tab pro to see how i like tablets and then next summer i can get the second iteration of the tab s assuming i like tablets (and assuming they come out with a second tab s which seems likely)?
    11-19-2014 12:15 AM
    What do you mean by charging time? The time it takes to charge to full, or the battery life of one full charge?
    11-19-2014 11:40 AM
    The time it takes to charge to full from empty. Ive read the pro takes 5+ hours but the s takes only 1+ hour.
    11-19-2014 02:01 PM
    I'm not aware of that, but speed of charging usually isn't a big criteria for me. I'll usually charge a tablet overnight, so it doesn't matter to me how fast it charges.

Keep in mind that ultrafast charging may be convenient, but it isn't necessarily good for the battery over the long term. Ultrafast charging could potentially lead to a shorter overall battery lifespan.
    11-19-2014 07:11 PM