cr500taco

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I usually get Otterbox Defender cases for my devices. Even have one on my Blackberry Playbook. I am getting the Tab S 8.4 and just curious what cases you all have? I am kinda thinking that the Defender case might be overkill, since I usually just use the tablet at home.

Also, was thinking about getting a keyboard case.

Posted via the Android Central App

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I, too, have an Otterbox for my Playbook. I definitely felt it make the PB bulletproof. I had no fear with it in a carry-on bag or backpack or even hiking with it when I did not want to leave it in the car on driving vacations. But I went for the Tab S 10.5 and the otterbox would have made it even heavier/bulkier.

I got mine 10.5 at Costco and it came with the simple Samsung wrap case (no easel). I did buy the Logitech keyboard case and it is nice (I don't see it for your 8 inch version). It definitely adds bulk and weight but surprisingly not a lot. Also, with its easel positions, it actually is easier to hold then the naked tablet.

Hopefully, someone with the 8 will have some comments/suggestions. Meanwhile enjoy it.

cr500taco

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I, too, have an Otterbox for my Playbook. I definitely felt it make the PB bulletproof. I had no fear with it in a carry-on bag or backpack or even hiking with it when I did not want to leave it in the car on driving vacations. But I went for the Tab S 10.5 and the otterbox would have made it even heavier/bulkier.

I got mine 10.5 at Costco and it came with the simple Samsung wrap case (no easel). I did buy the Logitech keyboard case and it is nice (I don't see it for your 8 inch version). It definitely adds bulk and weight but surprisingly not a lot. Also, with its easel positions, it actually is easier to hold then the naked tablet.

Hopefully, someone with the 8 will have some comments/suggestions. Meanwhile enjoy it.

Thanks, I do like the feel of the Playbook with the Defender case. Definitely, makes it feel more robust and durable,. Also, it makes it easier to hold the tablet, since it adds some thickness. Maybe, the Defender will be worth it just for those reasons and plus that it has a built in screen protector.

The 8.4 doesn't come with the case like the 10.5 does, which is more like a screen protector when it's closed and doesn't protect the back. The logitech keyboard case isn't available for the 8.4, but I did see that ATT has the Samsung keyboard case for the 8.4, but wish it was like the Playbook keyboard case, where it protects the whole tablet and not just the scree. But, I don't really want to spend $100 for it, either.

How often do you use the Logitech keyboard?

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I do like the feel of the Playbook with the Defender case. Definitely, makes it feel more robust and durable,. Also, it makes it easier to hold the tablet, since it adds some thickness. Maybe, the Defender will be worth it just for those reasons and plus that it has a built in screen protector.

The 8.4 doesn't come with the case like the 10.5 does, which is more like a screen protector when it's closed and doesn't protect the back. The logitech keyboard case isn't available for the 8.4, but I did see that ATT has the Samsung keyboard case for the 8.4, but wish it was like the Playbook keyboard case, where it protects the whole tablet and not just the scree. But, I don't really want to spend $100 for it, either.

How often do you use the Logitech keyboard?

Not very often actually. I was planning on using it more. Although, there are times I start typing on it and nothing happens - as I have not turned it on!!!

The case provided by Costco only protects the screen and wraps around the back only about two inches, where it snaps into the Tab's rear snaps. I much prefer the "frame" case like the Logitech or especially the Amazon case for my Kindle Paperwhite. The entire edge is protected by the framing design. Doesn't Samsung make the "book" case which has the easel positions and wraps around the top and bottom edges at least for the 8 inch?

I did buy a screen protector for the 10.5 but have been too reluctant to deal with it and moisture and a dust free environment!!

cr500taco

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
For my Tab Pro 8.4 and Tab S 8.4 I bought the Fintie cases from Amazon. The black case for my Bronze Tab S was only $7 shipped PRIME a week ago... ($11 now). I like their quality. Can fold as a stand, too.

thanks for the info. I just checked it and it's $15 with shipping. I like the auto sleep function. For $15, I may try it. Unfortunately, the stand can't be used with portrait view., but neither can the Otterbox Defender.

cr500taco

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Not very often actually. I was planning on using it more. Although, there are times I start typing on it and nothing happens - as I have not turned it on!!!

The case provided by Costco only protects the screen and wraps around the back only about two inches, where it snaps into the Tab's rear snaps. I much prefer the "frame" case like the Logitech or especially the Amazon case for my Kindle Paperwhite. The entire edge is protected by the framing design. Doesn't Samsung make the "book" case which has the easel positions and wraps around the top and bottom edges at least for the 8 inch?

I did buy a screen protector for the 10.5 but have been too reluctant to deal with it and moisture and a dust free environment!!

I beleive, Samsung makes a book style case. A guy a work, who has the 8.4 has one, but he said it cost him $50.

Just curious, I had the Tab S 10.5, but found it a little too big to use, even just using it around home. It seemed a little combersome while using it and trying to type on it, compared to my Playbook. Preferred the playbook size in my hands and now same with the Tab S 8.4 and I have manly hands. How do you like the size of the 10.5, since you are use to the Playbook. I like the idea of having a bigger sceeen and more srorage space of the 32GB 10.5 and I am wondering if I just needed more time to get use to the 10.5. Wish I can afford to have both, but that's not possible, right now. It's either one or the other.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I beleive, Samsung makes a book style case. A guy a work, who has the 8.4 has one, but he said it cost him $50.

Just curious, I had the Tab S 10.5, but found it a little too big to use, even just using it around home. It seemed a little combersome while using it and trying to type on it, compared to my Playbook. Preferred the playbook size in my hands and now same with the Tab S 8.4 and I have manly hands. How do you like the size of the 10.5, since you are use to the Playbook. I like the idea of having a bigger sceeen and more srorage space of the 32GB 10.5 and I am wondering if I just needed more time to get use to the 10.5. Wish I can afford to have both, but that's not possible, right now. It's either one or the other.

I can't explain it other than SIZE not weight. Although it could be that the Otterbox on the Playbook gives me better grip but I'm not sure. I think the wide (using in landscape) dimensions seems to allow it to pivot more easily than the Playbook. Also, maybe the narrow bezels on the side do not provide sufficient gripping area, again, allow it to pivot. Using it in bed was just not that easy. But I do like the larger screen size than the Playbook. Tradeoffs! I still like the Playbook size and is more portable and obviously, Apple, finally agreed. 10 inch tablets are nice for screen size but definitely less portable even ignoring the weight.

Well, since the Costco version was only 16gigs that's what I have. I have added a 64gig sdcard but the 4.4(??) OS has limitations on storing certain things on the external card. But most of my media is okay on the card. If I download larger files, I move them to the card. Again, the limitations don't necessarily allow some apps to store or download directly to the card.

If BB ever produced another Tablet, I'd be there. I find the physical button and its two "electric" (what are they called?) buttons archaic!!! Seriously, SWIPES and bezel swipes are just so clean and efficient.

I got the Samsung book case - from China, for about $15.00. I am not fond of the SNAP attachment. One seems a bit weak (maybe the China versions were seconds!!!). It makes it easier to hold - I can stick fingers into the "easel's triangle"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance