Just purchased this Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4 and new this forum, I was wondering what i need to do so my tablet will be able to read this 1TB Toshiba canvio hard drive. I read that you need to format the HD to fat32. But it said that file limit for fat32 is 4gb. I read that exfat basically has a very high file limit. Will this tablet read the hard drive if it is formatted to Exfat. Which is better, Fat32 or Exfat? Sorry I'm a newb to all this stuff
    11-30-2014 04:45 PM
    Just purchased this Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4 and new this forum, I was wondering what i need to do so my tablet will be able to read this 1TB Toshiba canvio hard drive. I read that you need to format the HD to fat32. But it said that file limit for fat32 is 4gb. I read that exfat basically has a very high file limit. Will this tablet read the hard drive if it is formatted to Exfat. Which is better, Fat32 or Exfat? Sorry I'm a newb to all this stuff
    I don't know the answer but a little experimenting should get you the answer, possibly with a bit of time wasted. As a new device maybe it does support exfat over usb-to-go.

Or if I can overocme laziness brought on by a mountain hike in the snow....

Well, my Tab S 10.5 just read the 64gig sd card that was formatted in my Blackberry Z10 just yesterday as exFAT. But it is not a terabyte drive.
    11-30-2014 06:36 PM
    Also the reason why I was asking because I do not have access to a computer so my friend has to format it for me so I have to tell him what to format it to. Looks like I'll be formatting in exfat
    12-01-2014 07:46 PM
    Also the reason why I was asking because I do not have access to a computer so my friend has to format it for me so I have to tell him what to format it to. Looks like I'll be formatting in exfat
    Good luck with the results. I know what I forgot to ask - do you have files that exceed the 4gig limit imposed by fat32? I guess you do since you asked.
    12-01-2014 08:36 PM
    Why not format it in NTFS? That's worked for USB OTG for all of the devices I've tried.
    02-23-2015 01:27 PM
    I have a 64gb SDXC card that I've tried to use in NTFS and FAT32 and neither work in the tablet, forces the "My Files" app to crash every time.
    03-19-2015 08:59 PM