Why am I not able to crop photos with the app QuickPic?

garryg

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Tab S 8.4 problem with QuickPic

I've just got a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and have downloaded the QuickPic app. When I try and crop photos on the tablet using the app I just get a 'Load Failed' message in red on the screen.
I've used this app with no problems on my Moto G phone and on a Nexus tablet - anyone know why I can't crop my photos on the Tab S ?

Thanks.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tab S 8.4 problem with QuickPic

Does the app load at all? Or does it fail when you try loading a photo? Where are the photos you are trying to open?

garryg

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

I emailed the developer and it seems that photos on an SD card (which is where mine were stored) can't be edited, photos on the tab itself are OK.
I find it a bit odd as photos on an SD card on my MotoG phone can be edited with no problem - thanks for your help.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I emailed the developer and it seems that photos on an SD card (which is where mine were stored) can't be edited, photos on the tab itself are OK.
I find it a bit odd as photos on an SD card on my MotoG phone can be edited with no problem - thanks for your help.

That may be because of the OS (4.4????) which has limitations/restrictions on access to sd card content. For some reason Google altered the OS restriction apps from writing/editing (readiing?) data/files on an external SDcard. What OS does your phone have?

garryg

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I don't know much about these things but seems right - Phone is 4.4.4 & Tablet is 4.4.2

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I don't know much about these things but seems right - Phone is 4.4.4 & Tablet is 4.4.2

Hmm. That's interesting. Maybe they re-tweaked it in the newer 4.4.4 OS on the phone.

I still don't understand this level of "hand holding" especially for PERSONAL devices. Limitations on access to an external sd card is ridiculous (until, of course, I screw something up!). It should be up to me, the user, to decide that I want apps to access the darn card. This is especially the case when there are only 16gigs (oh, the days when that was a huge amount) and I store most media including photos on my card.

The way it now stands, so many google store apps grab every permission known to man that there is almost no security or privacy, yet the card is off limits! Okay, enough of my rant!

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Not that it makes it any easier for people with SD cards, but here's an article talking about the reasons behind that move: KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

I'm certainly not blaming YOU ( :D ) but that article was from March, not quite a year but almost.....

Has anything changed? I see references to a new OS. Has that addressed this in any way? I do find it, at least, awkward that apps can't gain access to files/folders on my roomy 64gig card. Even my Blackberry device, the epitome of security (supposedly) does not bar me or apps from gaining access to its 64gig sd card.

I guess it is what it is (as Bill Clinton might say!)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

The article is from March, but it's still valid in that it explains the KitKat SD card restrictions and the rationale behind it. I'm not sure if it's changed with Lollipop--but the Tab S hasn't gotten Lollipop yet, so that's why I thought the article would still be helpful. I'll have to do some reading to see if the restrictions have eased at all with Lollipop.