05-19-2015 09:46 AM
26 12
tools
    HI all,

I just received a Galaxy Tab S 8.4 as a gift and I am wondering if I received a lemon due to how fast my battery is draining

So, two days ago I fully charged the unit and started playing. I am an avid Star Wars Commander fan and I play it somewhat frequently.

After charging the unit overnight up to 100% (with the included charger) I unplug the unit and begin to play. After 10 minutes I notice that my power is down to 91%. Thinking that I might have my settings too high I make the following changes to the unit:

1) Turn on standard power saving mode
    2) Change the color scheme to normal and turn off the adaptive screen
    3) Turn off the location services
    4) Turn off all notification sounds
    5) Turn off constant Wi-Fi scanning
    6) Lower the brightness meter to around 1/3 of full on the dropdown bar

For the whole day until I go to bed I use the unit for just under 4 hours (this includes 1.5 hours of SW commander). If I remember correctly when I got to bed the power meter is at 35%. I do not plug in the unit and after I wake up I check the power level it's down to 20%

My questions are:

Is this normal power drainage for the settings above?
    Is there anything I should check to make sure I don't have anything on that would be draining the batteries.
    Since this was a gift and I don't have the receipt how to I use the warranty? Will samsung accept it based off of serial number?

Thanks!
    01-14-2015 08:21 AM
    Welcome to the forums. The Star Wars game is probably a resource heavy game, with lots of motion etc? That is probably the reason for your drain. Is there any way you can post some screenshots of your battery stats? Settings>Battery.
    Billy95Tech likes this.
    01-14-2015 08:34 AM
    Hi Thanks for the welcome!

SW commander can have a lot of constantly moving parts and probably does drain the battery fast from what I can tell. But I only played the game 1.5 hours from the battery screen it shows that SW commander used 16% of the power.

BTW how do I take a screen shot from the battery screen?

Thanks!
    01-14-2015 08:42 AM
    Hi!

I also have a Samsung galaxy tab s and I can tell you with certain that you do NOT have a lemon. I thought something was wrong with mine initially, I returned 2 of them back to best buy only to find that unfortunately, the battery is just terrible. I play clash of clans a lot and with just 5 minutes of using that my tablet trains at least 3%. If I leave it idle, it will last but will still drain faster than my phone (which doesn't make sense because that is searching for signal!). What I find helps is lowering the brightness (not auto), power saving mode (not ultra), turning my tablet off to charge it, letting the battery drain completely until it powers off, closing all apps after using them, turning off wifi searching when you are connected to a network (that can be found in the menu settings in wifi). Also see how your battery is with just searching the web or other apps like amazon, facebook, etc. If it does not drain AS FAST as when using games, your device is most definitely not a lemon. I have noticed that although this product drains quickly, it won't drain as fast when using other apps than clash of clans or trivia crack. Also keep in mind, I used to own 3 different Samsung devices and the battery operated the same on those. Terrible when operating games, would die 1% after powering on from 100% and even die very quickly in stand-by mode.

Good luck and let know if I can help in any other way

Best,
    Brianna
    FF22 and Billy95Tech like this.
    01-14-2015 11:08 AM
    And yes, Samsung will ask for the serial number when you call. If you would like them to swap the battery you are covered for a year from the purchase of the device and you can send it into them it will take about 2 weeks to send it in and have it sent back to you!
    01-14-2015 11:09 AM
    Thanks! That must be it then. SW Commander is basically the same game as Clash of Clan. I was hoping for a bit better battery life than my phone, but I guess not.
    01-14-2015 11:43 AM
    Yeah I came from an iPad mini, the battery was much better but this tablet is just awesome. It generally gets me throughout the day and I charge it overnight with my phone. The display and lightweight design is fabulous it has made me overlook the crappy battery lol. Good luck let me know if you have any other questions!
    01-14-2015 11:50 AM
    A screenshot I think is done with power and home at the same time. Another common method is power and volume down at the same time.
    Samsung displays don't care for light screens. Dropping the brightness might help some, as well.

From an AOSP M8
    01-14-2015 05:01 PM
    I had a similar problem just like you. My Galaxy tab S 8.4 LTE drained very fast. I'm talking 100% to flat battery in 2 days without turning it on. I sent it to the service centre. Samsung replaced 'power IC' (as said in the receipt) and now the battery drains like normal. Hope this helps.
    FF22 and spydre like this.
    01-29-2015 08:32 AM
    Yeah I came from an iPad mini, the battery was much better but this tablet is just awesome. It generally gets me throughout the day and I charge it overnight with my phone. The display and lightweight design is fabulous it has made me overlook the crappy battery lol. Good luck let me know if you have any other questions!
    Thanks, as a new owner your info on the battery life is very helpful.

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-16-2015 08:54 AM
    Thanks, as a new owner your info on the battery life is very helpful.

I guess you missed my entire paragraph that I wrote above that. Read the thread again.
    02-20-2015 08:06 AM
    Hi!

I also have a Samsung galaxy tab s and I can tell you with certain that you do NOT have a lemon. I thought something was wrong with mine initially, I returned 2 of them back to best buy only to find that unfortunately, the battery is just terrible. I play clash of clans a lot and with just 5 minutes of using that my tablet trains at least 3%. If I leave it idle, it will last but will still drain faster than my phone (which doesn't make sense because that is searching for signal!). What I find helps is lowering the brightness (not auto), power saving mode (not ultra), turning my tablet off to charge it, letting the battery drain completely until it powers off, closing all apps after using them, turning off wifi searching when you are connected to a network (that can be found in the menu settings in wifi). Also see how your battery is with just searching the web or other apps like amazon, facebook, etc. If it does not drain AS FAST as when using games, your device is most definitely not a lemon. I have noticed that although this product drains quickly, it won't drain as fast when using other apps than clash of clans or trivia crack. Also keep in mind, I used to own 3 different Samsung devices and the battery operated the same on those. Terrible when operating games, would die 1% after powering on from 100% and even die very quickly in stand-by mode.

Good luck and let know if I can help in any other way

Best,
    Brianna
    Pretty sure this is useful .
    02-20-2015 08:06 AM
    That is the tab s. Battery life is 1 hour on average for me. Totally useless.

03-06-2015 08:25 PM
    That is the tab s. Battery life is 1 hour on average for me. Totally useless.

Do the other Samsung tablets have similar battery issues? If they can't repair mine (extended warranty with accidental damage covered), I'm not certain that I want to replace it with something with a large battery drain issue.
    03-06-2015 11:39 PM
    i would say a full day is pretty good for the screen on this bad boy...also gaming definitely drops any device very quick...i did very casual gaming on my former ipad air 2, and it went very quick...so far the tab seems pretty par for the course!
    03-11-2015 09:09 AM
    It is terrible while playing games. Dies in a few short hours they say the battery is good and it's terrible
    Billy95Tech likes this.
    03-12-2015 08:47 AM
    Received mine in October. Battery wasnt great but a few days ago it went from ok to rapidly decreaing. %50 battery doesnt last me an hour. Might have to give samsung a call soon.
    03-17-2015 09:39 PM
    what do you have going on for location settings?
    03-18-2015 08:55 AM
    Samsung just told me I basically need to turn off EVERYTHING for the tablet battery to last. Cannot have email sync, calendar, drive, etc....

That is absolutely ridiculous.
    03-19-2015 08:54 PM
    I've had my tab s 10.5 for almost a year now. This past month my battery has been draining fast going from 100% to 0 in a little over an hour. When I first bought it I would get good battery life would be able to watch 2 movies and still have about 50%. Just sent it in since it was still under warranty just received a email that they replaced the charge port. Not sure how the charge port has anything to do with the battery life but hopefully when I get it back I don't have the drain issues.
    03-25-2015 09:43 PM
    I've had my tab s 10.5 for almost a year now. This past month my battery has been draining fast going from 100% to 0 in a little over an hour. When I first bought it I would get good battery life would be able to watch 2 movies and still have about 50%. Just sent it in since it was still under warranty just received a email that they replaced the charge port. Not sure how the charge port has anything to do with the battery life but hopefully when I get it back I don't have the drain issues.
    Let me know if it helps. I have a fast drain issue as well asa charge issue were unless I power off my tab it wolnt charge and keep discharging. I tried numerous cables and plugs.
    03-27-2015 05:46 PM
    Ok got it back and they fixed my drain issue by replacing my charge port. Samsung replaced the charge cable and wall plug also. If its still under warranty I suggest you send it in they will fix it.
    04-06-2015 09:10 PM
    They suggested I use nothing but the cable that came with the tablet to charge it. I was using different cable and didn't realize it could do damage.
    04-06-2015 09:11 PM
    I am also facing same issue with my Samsung mobile, Within two years of buying time my mobile battery started heating up. But it is true that, all these chargers are different and the cable that is used is different. so it is always recommended to use the charger that comes with the device.
    04-07-2015 02:09 AM
    Hi. New to the forum, yet I have read the posts about the battery draining issues and tried them all and still my Samsung galaxy 3 battery is draing quickly. I'm not tech savy, so some suggestions can be difficult to follow. How to turn of the wifi scanning and the mention about the wall paper, does that apply to my tablet, if so, how do I do that? Is there any android apps tat actual work to repair or improve this situation. thanks
    05-19-2015 08:06 AM
26 12