How can I use my Galaxy Tab S (wifi only) as a gps?

massai

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Use Galaxy Tab S (wifi only) as a gps

Can you use this tablet as a gps navigation in the car?
Attached to the USB-socked of the car, will there be enough power to use the GPS or will the battery be drained?
Any tips to navigation app with optimal offline street search?

sushiguy732

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Use Galaxy Tab S (wifi only) as a gps

You need internet connectivity in order to use the GPS so your only option is to use your phone as a hotspot.
The power adapter in the car should be sufficient for actual power.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

You can download the map while you're on Wifi (not too much of a map, though - about 37 miles by 37 miles). Just give it a location zoom in or out to cover the area you need, tap the search bar again and put in ok maps (watch out for autocorrect). It will ask if you if you want to save the map. If you do, it will let you name it.

oldmanflair

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can. If you use the default Google Maps, as someone already mentioned, you will need either need wi-fi or pre-download your map. Also note that traffic info will require wi-fi. I use Waze for local travel. This requires wi-fi not only for the dynamic map download but for routing, traffic, and the crowdsourced "stuff".

To get wi-fi to your tablet, as someone mentioned, you can use your phone as a wi-fi hotspot. If you do this, you will definitely want your phone to be charging also as hotspots are battery drains. Also remember that hotspot access from your phone will consume your data plan.

If you don't want to mess with wi-fi, you can use a navigation app that provides offline maps, such as CoPilot or TomTom. Remember that while they will provide adequate navigation while offline, their traffic features will not work as they need the internet connection. Think GPS unit from 2006 or so.

Hope this helps.

massai

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much for your answers! I can live with not having traffic data, but I will try to get my phone to work as a hot spot in special cases. :)

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I use Co-Pilot GPS program and it allows me to download the complete US or individual states. You can use this unit without WiFi since the maps are onboard. I use the car to charge the unit as I drive from point to point.

FrankW438

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

I use Sygic for GPS on my Tab S 8.4 in my car. Sygic, available in the Play Store, uses Tom-Tom maps. Once you learn how to navigate with Sygic, it is pretty good. The graphics, speed warnings and camera warnings are great.

Just remember that after your trial period, you have to purchase the maps which have lifetime updates.

I also use Radar Now! (with the hotspot on my phone) to view current weather radar of my area when driving. This is the biggest advantage a tablet has over a standard GPS unit.