Lollipop 5.0.2 Kinda Sucks on my Tab S

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey there,

My Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (wifi) recently got the OTA update for Android 5.0.2. Overall, my experience has been good, but I can't help but notice some things that have been made worse.

Multitasking: When I press the multitasking button, there's often a delay. Sometimes it's less than a second, sometimes it feels like 2-3 seconds. Either way, I'm not loving that. Also, I actually prefer the old multitasking functionality with having the little bar slide up from the bottom, rather than this taking the whole screen up with the cards. I like the cards on my Galaxy S6, but with the larger screen, it really seems like a step backward. It feels disjointed in the way that Windows8 can feel disjointed when you go to the Start menu (which is a totally different screen, rather than the Windows7 style start menu that overlays on your desktop).

LockScreen Notifications: This one really annoys me. I don't have a password or fingerprint protection for unlocking, just swipe. Yet, when I click on a notification, it doesn't even do anything. I still have to unlock with swipe.

Anyone have any other issues to add?

justafew

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Did you do a wipe/reset after the upgrade? When I upgraded my LG G3, a fresh wipe/reset resolved many lag issues and some other minor hiccups.

What you could do as an alternative to see if it fixes the problem with lag first is to try to wipe the cache partition:

Press and hold the Powerkey, tap Poweroff, then tap OK.
Press and hold the Power key, Home key and Up Volume key at the same time.
Release all of the keys when the Android image appears.
Press the Down Volume key to select Wipe cache partition.
Press the Power key.
Once Cache wipe complete appears, press the Power key to select Reboot system now.
The device restarts once the wipe is finished.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
You really should do a cache wipe and a factory reset after each major OS upgrade. The reason is that so much junk from the previous system gets left behind and caused problems. It's a pain to have to set everything back up after a reset, but I've found battery life usually improves as does overall responsiveness.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Follow Up from OP:

I had some free time this weekend, so I decided to do a full reset of my Tab S 8.4.

It's functioning much better now! I wouldn't say it's 100%, but as close as I'd expect it to get.

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded the OTA update before reading about some of the problems people are having. When I clicked on "install" I got an error message saying the file was invalid....huh? I guess I dodge a bullet there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz