Tablet destroying SD cards?

greycobalt

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
In August, I bought a 128GB PNY microSD card. It lasted almost two months, and then the tablet started acting funny. It would randomly unmount the card, it couldn't find my music files, and apps I had moved to the card would just disappear. I assumed the card was broken, so I eventually replaced it with a 128GB Samsung card. It's worked fine until the other day, when it started exhibiting the exact same behavior. I haven't been able to fix it.

I've tried formatting them both, but nothing seems to work. Windows can see the cards and the contents, but it's not able to format either card - it reads them both as write-protected, even though they're not. The only thing I can think that might cause it besides my tablet is Link2SD. I use this to move the large app data to the card since I only have 16GB of regular space. Could this be causing it? I'm at a loss, and I can't keep buying new cards. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

greycobalt

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'll check it out! Thanks.

I wouldn't mind having to recover it every few months if it's just an inherent problem, but since I use Link2SD I practically have to format the tablet every time to let me reinstall apps. It's such a bummer.

netslacker

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I bought one of the PNY 128gb cards for my Samsung Tab S and this is the behavior it exhibited right after inserting the card. I replaced it with a Samsung 64gb card and it's been rock solid ever since (a week). I'd send the card(s) back for replacement if you can.

greycobalt

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Very weird! I'm glad your new Samsung card is working for you. I thought maybe it was a brand thing, so I was disappointed when my Samsung one did the same thing.