default browser language is Japanese

duggos

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy tab 8 for which I set English as my language. However whenever I am in a browser and want to bookmark or otherwise use a menu command, the popup menu is in Japanese. How do I change the default menu language to English?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you confirm that you have a Tab S 8.4? Your post is in that subforum, but you only mention "tab 8" in your post.

Are the system settings in Japanese as well, or only the browser? Are you using the stock browser, Chrome, or some other browser?

duggos

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Diddy. My tablet is a Tab S8, the previous version of S8.4. Is there a different thread for this model?

I have tried Chrome and Firefox, with the same problem. Whenever I access the browser menu, it is not in English. I think it is Japanese but it may be one of the other East Asian languages.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My tablet is a Tab S8, the previous version of S8.4.

There was no previous version of the Tab S 8.4. Do you have a Tab 3 or Tab 4 8.0, or maybe a Tab A 8.0? Or do you have a Lenovo Tab S8? Go to Settings>About Tablet and tell us what's listed under Model Number.

My question was if the system settings are in this Asian language, not the browser's settings. Swipe down the notification panel and tap the gear icon, or go to the App Drawer and tap the Settings icon, and tell us what you see. Show us a screenshot of the Settings>About Tablet menu: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

duggos

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. You are correct. It is an 8.4" tablet. The Model Number is SM-T700.
There is no gear icon on the notifications panel.
Sorry but I cannot seem to take a screenshot of the 'About Device' Panel. Neither the standard pressing and holding of the power and down volume buttons nor of the power and home buttons works for a screenshot. The About Device panel shows the Model Number, Android Version (5.0.2), Kernel Version, Build, SE for Android Status, and KNOX version. What other information would help?

duggos

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Diddy, but I now think I may be in the wrong forum. I am feeling my way on my first tablet, purchased as a birthday gift from my wife. I now find that it only Firefox where the menu that comes up upon clicking the 3 vertical dot icon is in an Asian language. The same icon in Chrome results in an English menu. So I think I will switch to Chrome as my default tab browser, at least during my work trip over the next couple of weeks.
Thanks again for your help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams