Tab S 8.4 updated to 6.0.1 restarts randomly

CShirey

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi.

My Galaxy Tab S 8.4 is used constantly and had no problems until I updated to 6.0.1. Now the tablet freezes for a few seconds, the screen goes to black and the Samsung logo appears. After this reset, the tablet is fine for awhile --- until the process repeats, up to four times in a day. Sometimes there is a slight buzzing sound before it happens, if that means anything.

As a precaution, I have removed the apps that I had downloaded since the update.

Is anyone experiencing anything similar or heard of this? Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
c.s.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
The first thing to try is to reboot into Recovery and clear the cache partition.

If that doesn't work, I would recommend a factory reset, although that can be a pain with having to re-setup the device.

Try clearing the cache partition first. That will not affect any apps or data on the device. I don't know the button combo to get into the Recovery off the top of my head for a Tab S 8.4, but it should be easy to Google. It's usually something like "power off, hold volume down + home + power"

CShirey

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
The first thing to try is to reboot into Recovery and clear the cache partition.

If that doesn't work, I would recommend a factory reset, although that can be a pain with having to re-setup the device.

Try clearing the cache partition first. That will not affect any apps or data on the device. I don't know the button combo to get into the Recovery off the top of my head for a Tab S 8.4, but it should be easy to Google. It's usually something like "power off, hold volume down + home + power"

How long should wiping the cache take? I followed instructions specifically for Tab S 8.4 and the bottom of the screen does say wiping cache. However, the top of the screen (not mentioned in the directions) shows:
Android Recovery followed by three lines of text including 6.0.1 and then a line that says:
user/release-keys
Use volume up/down and power.
No
Yes
Not sure what to answer. Am I holding up the process by not answering?
It's been wiping for 10 minutes and I'm starting to worry especially with the decreased battery performance.
I am worried...I ruined my last tablet on these screens.

Thanks!

CShirey

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
First of all, in my panic I forgot to thank you TenshiNo for your answer. Thanks!
I realize now that wiping the cache can take some time as it took 20 minutes to complete. I was unable to get to the Reboot System Now option without answering the above question so I answered NO.
The tablet is back up and working and I hope to see improvement because in addition to the random restarts, Marshmallow is killing my battery!
Is removing Marshmallow a good option? (Possibly not by me personally...)
Thanks, again!
cs.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Glad you got your device working. Just as an FYI, if you don't explicitly select "OK" on the Cache Wipe confirmation, then it's not actually doing anything. Sounds like you did not actually wipe your cache (since you said you selected "No"). Actually doing the Cache Wipe should take less than 1 minute.

"Removing" Android Marshmallow is probably going to be more trouble that it's worth, since the problem is likely not the OS itself. If you are seeing bad battery life, let the device run for about an hour, then go into Settings -> Battery and click the "Battery Usage" button. This will list what apps are responsible for the battery drain. The top couple of items should be Screen and Android OS. If you are seeing a particular app listed at the top, assuming that it's not an app you ran a bunch during that hour, you should consider uninstalling that app. The other thing to be aware of is that weak cellular signal will also cause extreme battery drain. Look for "Cell Standby" in that list and tap on it. It will show you the amount of time that the device spent searching for a signal. Sometimes, it can be something as simple as there being an issue with the cell tower local you having issues, causing increased battery drain from usual. That depends on how long this has been going on, and if your daily routine has changed right when the increased battery drain started, too.

Increased battery drain can be hard to track down, since it can be related to a number of issues, both software and hardware. Be careful about letting your battery get extremely low (less than 20%) on a regular basis, as that can damage the battery and reduce its total capacity. Also excessive heat can damage the battery. This reduced battery capacity can *appear* to be increased battery drain, since the percentage indicator is going down faster than you are used to.

phillyhtc

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same problem. It has turned my tablet into an unusable piece of junk. It reboots all the time now, almost anytime I pull down the notification shade. It took me 3 reboots before I could even get into the settings menu to do a factory reset. This is ridiculous. Marshmallow really doesn't bring any new features (like adaptive storage) so the only upgrade I've received is a bum software build.

ArchyB

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
I updated my sm-t705 to 6.0.1, and it's been a total effing disaster. Many problems with 'random' rebooting, so did a factory reset, and started reinstalling my basic apps. Didn't get very far before system started shutting down and rebooting, even during a bluetooth file transfer.
Completely unreliable and the tablet is essentially unusable.
I started in IT in 1962, and I am horrified at the increasing level of incompetence throughout the industry (with few exceptions).
Android is really only about advertising revenue. If they built cars like they build software, most producers would be out of business.
Sorry for the rant! I think I should go back to a Windows 7 machine.

phillyhtc

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I just received an update from Samsung this evening that's supposed to address "stability and security." It's now on version 3.4.39-8965223. I forgot to look at the size of the update but it was pretty sizable. Check your tablets to see if it's available.

ArchyB

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Does this new version work any better?
My tablet is on 3.4.39-8816210.
Haven't yet been advised of an update.
Will advise if the situation changes.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan