Any point in upgrading from KitKat?

ET3D

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I haven't even upgraded my tablet to Android 5. From my point of view lack of storage is the main problem with this tablet, and 5 reduces available storage further. Now Android 6 is out, and from what I've read adoptable storage is disabled. The only other significant advantage left in 6 is the fine grained control of permissions.

What do you think, is it worth moving away from KitKat to Marshmallow?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
First off, I don't own your tablet, so what I have to say about what you're thinking of is based on two Note 4's, and a Note 10.1 2014.

I had a whole bunch of text written here outlining changes from KK to LP to MM, but there were so many changes here and there, that I gave up and just deleted everything.

I will say this... consider this jump in OS very carefully. If you become unhappy with specific things in the new OS(s), and you can't revert your tablet back to KK, you'll be stuck with your choice. If I were you, I would first find out if your tablet is capable of being reverted back to KK from LP, or from MM... before making the jump. Consider yourself warned!

My original Note 4 (22 months old) is still running KK. When LP first came out for my phone, I took the jump and soon found that all the changes in the UI were terrible! LP 5.0 was a major piece of crap! Too many to list, but the main problem for me was that all the screens became "whiter"... I call it "white blindness"! KK screens have definitive dark separating lines on their pages... like in Settings, Contacts, or almost anything that's a listing. In LP, the separating lines, if they're even present at all, are thin, very light gray lines. The overall pages looks too damn bright! Suffice to say, that less than a day on LP, I reverted my phone back to KK. My KK Note 4 has run like a dream all these months!

My Note 10.1 2014, is also on KK 4.4.4. LP 5.1.1 is available for it, but I never upgraded it due to my experience with my Note 4 on LP, plus other research I made on the OS. In my case, my tablet model cannot be reverted, and so the decision to stay on KK is set in concrete. My tablet also runs like a dream on KK!

My second Note 4 (spare), that I recently got was supposed to come to me with KK, however the seller lied and it came with MM. MM on a Note 4 is just plain stupid! Whoever wrote this OS must have wanted users to hate their phone! There are no more tabs in Application Manager... instead, there's just one long list of apps. No more, Downloaded, SD Card, Running, All, or Disabled tabs. This means you have to scroll your brains out just to find the apps you installed. Sure, you can hide the System apps in the list, but that doesn't hide the rest of the junk the carrier or Google has installed. Also, you can't get to see your Running applications unless you first enable Developer Options and enter it... Running apps are hidden in Dev options! There are quite a few more things I dislike about MM and wanted to find out if anyone actually liked MM, so I started THIS thread. Didn't get too many responses, so maybe most people don't mind it. I... can't stand it! Within a week of having the phone, I found out it could readily be reverted to LP 5.1.1 and so that's where it stands. LP 5.1.1 is not as bad as the first iteration of LP 5.0 like I saw on my orig Note 4, but it's NOT Kitkat! The sad part is that this Note 4 is locked to LP and can't be reverted all the way back to KK... so I'm stuck with it as is. It's not all that bad, but I'm still hoping someone will be able to find a way back to KK!

If you have no problems with your tablet on KK... if you love KK as an OS, including what the UI looks like, and how your native apps run... then, tread lightly in the area of upgrades!

On the other hand, not all is bad with upgrading. Some newer apps require at least LP 5.x and above to run, and some require MM and above... so, there is that.

Good luck! I hope you get more positive feedback from users of your tablet. :cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy