Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 Nook

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I got the S2 Nook yesterday at Barnes & Noble. I had a Tab S and really liked it but returned it to the store when I learned the S2 was being released. I was ready to preorder the S2 but held off when I read the Nook was going to be released. I have had Nook tablets and e-readers in the past but the last Samsung Nook was a real disappointment and had no interest in it. This Nook variant is physically exactly like the regular S2 except has the Nook software and apps in addition to all the regular Google and Samsung apps and services. The S2 Nook only come in black and B&N has it's own cases but it still has the tabs on the back for Samsung's own book covers. The Nook version comes with the three free books from a list of twenty, three Nook magazines, $5 B&N credit, in-house support and 10% off for being a B&N member. Another thing I discovered is B&N offers TWO years accidental damage warranty for $79 while Best Buy offers ONE year for $79. Samsung also offers a Kindle for Samsung app with free books too, so I don't feel I am giving up a Kindle offer for a Nook. I used Tab S primarily as a color e-reader for books, magazines and comics and I'm already invested in Nook for me the S2 Nook was the obvious choice.

I knew the S2 was thin but in person it is really impressive. The screen quality, 4:3 aspect ratio and light weight make the 8-inch version perfect for reading books, magazines and comics. I noticed some lag on the Tab S but the S2 is fast and fluid. I've read reviews that have knocked the S2 for not having the latest processor but I'm not sure what practical difference that would make. I could be wrong but the speakers seem louder on the S2. The only disappointment is battery life, which isn't bad but probably isn't going to make it through a long international flight, and Samsung didn't include fast charging like on their new phones. I know there are cheaper alternatives for a small tablet but the S2 really is a nice device and the Nook variant is perfect for my needs.

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Good review. I would have gotten the Nook version, but it only came in black.

Posted via the Android Central App

shirokuro

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the Nook version today. I LOVE the form factor, and the performance is excellent. I am a little disappointed in the screen though, I seem to be very sensitive to pentile screens (I know lots of people don't care) and at times this one screams out at me. Other times it's fine - I didn't notice it in the store, for example. So, I'll have to decide whether to keep it or not. The other thing I noticed is that it's on Android 5.0.2 whilst by all accounts the standard Tab S2 models have been updated to 5.1.1 already. There is no update showing for the Nook one. If the Nook variant is going to get screwed on updates, that's a huge black mark against it, IMO.

M Stuart

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. the screen on the 9.7" doesn't look that sharp to me after checking it out in person. I was really thrilled with this tablet because I love the form factor, but now I don't know what to do. Not sure it's just because of Pentile, I also had a look at the iPad Air 2 and at 264 dpi too it's pretty similar. I know that it's a bit unfair to compare it to the insanely high dpi screens we've got now in our phones and that more than anything is the reason I'm a bit let down by the screen but still...

Last edited:

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the normal Lte version, this was the first real android tablet let to unhook me from my iPad.

So far it's amazing in every way, looking forward to test it more the next few weeks.

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering this as my next tablet. Currently using the ZenPad S 8.0 but may sell it...

What I like about the S2 Nook is it's a great tablet already but with the B&N skin on top which I like a lot! I go to B&N all the time and read in their cafe. I use nook for half my ebooks (other half is kindle) and I've owned nooks both readers and tablets in the past and was always impressed.

Sent via Tapatalk on my ASUS ZenPad S 8.0...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay