Galaxy Tab S2 worth it?

A

AC Question

I'm wondering if anyone is interested in investing in Samsung's new tablet. I have the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and really like it, but it's getting a bit worn hardware-wise, and I'd like to use a larger (9.7 inch for me!) tablet. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks it'll be a good investment and demonstrate faster performance and a better screen than older Samsung tablets. Does anyone even use tablets anymore?

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Tab pro 8.4 is very good tablet. I used it for few weeks. Tab S2 is a really good tablet. I wouldn't call buying one of these tablet is an investment. To me , it's strictly I want it. I use tablet every day and have too many of them. If you want to upgrade from tap pro to s2, it is debatable. But if upgrading from tab s tab s2, I will say not really, unless you simply want to like in my case.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Klotera

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Debating a similar move myself, Tab S 8.4 to Tab S2 9.7. Wouldn't mind the larger screen real estate. I'm also certain that tab S is probably done with updates forever.

I went to Best Buy today to check out the S2 9.7 and I have to say that the screen definitely didn't look as good as my Tab S. We are going from a larger resolution on a smaller screen to a lower resolution on a larger screen. I was hoping I wouldn't notice the difference, but it was noticeable.

So, I'm on the fence. The smart thing would probably to wait and see what gets announced in the next few months. Samsung did a bad job of getting Lollipop on the Tab S in a timely manner and I'd like a tablet that will be updated in reasonable fashion.

dawizel56

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
FYI. The Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 was updated to Lollipop 5.1.1 after the initial set up. Simply go to setting and click on update status and if in the U.S. you should get the update to 5.1.1. So at least it is now running the latest OS. Maybe it will be updated to Android M by Jan 2016.

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I all so have the Samaung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, and it is a pretty great tablet, Owned it over a year now and still use it nearly every day and is still one of the best/powerful Android tablets to date! :)

And i was going to get the Ipad Air 3 but it seems there won't be no new Ipad Air this year. :(

So i am going to get the Samaung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 soon, I really want to use a 4:3 9.7 inch tablet as the 4:3 aspect ratio is way better for things like Web surfing, Gaming, Reading and it is very powerful Android tablet. :)

And i still going to use the Tab Pro 8.4 but not as much.

robertllacy

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Tab S2 9.7 last week and it is easily the best Samsung tablet I have owned so far. I had the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 most recently and I really liked it, but it was never going to get updated past Kit Kat. The 4:3 aspect ratio is great. Watching videos isn't really bad, especially if you get the black model. The blacks get so deep on the screen that the letter box blends into the bezel. It's ridiculously fast. I haven't had a hint of lag yet. Super thin, super light.

Partimegamer

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I recently just purchased the Tab S2 9.7 and of all the tablets I've used (which is quite a few) I like this one the best. It's fast, the screen is amazing and the option to expand your storage just ties it all together.

Posted via the Android Central App

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I have the note 10.1 2014 and it would be awkward reading on portrait mode because my thumb would always hit the home or back button, so I got the tab s2 9.7 and I really like this tablet it is snappy the screen is awesome and reading is way better I believe it was worth the upgrade.

Yathani

May 21, 2013
Visit site
FYI. The Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 was updated to Lollipop 5.1.1 after the initial set up. Simply go to setting and click on update status and if in the U.S. you should get the update to 5.1.1. So at least it is now running the latest OS. Maybe it will be updated to Android M by Jan 2016.

5.1.1 has not even been released to Tab S2. I think you mean 5.0.1

Trankster

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from the Tab Pro 8.4 to the S2 8.0 and couldn't be happier. I had been having some charging issues with my Tab Pro and running low with the16gb memory for some time, so this was a very positive upgrade.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I got the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 Nook when it was released and today took it to the Apple store to compare it to the iPad Mini 4. The store was so crowded that I was able to spend about thirty minutes there without ever being approached by a salesperson. Many people online say that Apple's tablets are the best so I felt like I should look at both options while within the return window of the Nook purchase. Both tablets are very similar but in terms of screen and feel I prefer the Samsung. Most people seem to love the metal back on the iPad but I tend to prefer softer touch materials. Both tablets seem solid and well built. Both appear fast and fluid and either tablet will obviously get the job done. The iPad Mini 4 is supposed to have 10 hours of battery life and I am getting about 8 on the Samsung, so that is definitely a score for the iPad. In terms of apps, I haven't looked for an app on Android and not found it and I would probably need to look at the app website to notice if it was "tablet optimized." Maybe an app designed specifically for a tablet makes more difference on a screen larger than eight inches but I just haven't noticed problems with scale.

The Samsung S2 has been criticized by some reviewers as too expensive but the Samsung Nook very comparable to the iPad Mini 4 and is clearly a better bargain. The iPad Mini 4 16GB is $399 and to bring it up to 128GB is $599. The Samsung Nook 32GB is $359 for B&N members and with a $59 microSD card brings it up to 160GB for $418. Two years of accident protection on the on the iPad is $99 and is $79 on the Samsung Nook. Plus the Samsung Nook has some specific features that I appreciate but other people might not, such as Microsoft Office, screen synch to my Samsung phone and television, and the ability to read e-books free for an hour a day in B&N stores. I also just prefer the Android OS, which I already knew from owning an iPhone 6 Plus. So visiting the Apple store made me realize that for my needs the Samsung Nook was the right decision. I would only get an iPad if I owned other Apple products.

Yopi Duffy

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The only thing that not worth using samsung tablet in my opinion is that samsung will forget or limit to update the firmware when launched a new hardware. Compare to the competitor i.e iPad, it still have an update for the new iOS even for iPad 2 that for me it's already obsolate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carter17

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
The short answer yes it's worth it. Even coming from the tab is 8.4 I now have the tab s2 8 inch. I figured I wasn't going to like the 4.3 aspect ratio. So I checked out an iPad Mini 4 because if I am going to 4.3 apple makes a good device. Fact is I truly feel like Samsung has the better device. It felt better in the hand had more grip I prefer the Samsung screen hands down. It just feels like a better device. Now actually using a device with a 4.3 aspect ratio I think I kind of prefer it. I'll have to give it some time, it may just be because it's new but I like the way it sits in the hand. YouTube still looks good browsing the web looks good if you need a new tablet don't hesitate to buy it

stardomains

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've always disliked tablets because they didn't have enough ram and kept reloading pages and closing apps. I always preferred to use my laptop. Got this yesterday and I'm liking it quite a bit. Doesn't reload webpages every time you switch away from the browser. It is snappy and fast enough to for everything I've thrown at it so far. Nice screen. Speakers are okay, not bad not stellar. I have the international lte version and it has some features that really work for me great.

Personally I would like Quick Charge 2.0 or better yet 3.0 on the next version. The S6 processor would have been nice too. A little better speakers would be cool. An IR blaster too. Maybe up the RAM to 4GB too.

Overall it's finally a tablet that I won't return or sell right away. Does what it should do the right way and the design is really nice too.

darkmanx2g

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's worth the price tag but best buy was having that trade in deal and I was fine buying it at $250.

Very nice tablet though.

Traded in 2 nexus 7 - 2012 tablets.

climb

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I moved from the tab S to the S2 and have no regrets. The S2 is responsive - very snappy - the tab S had serious lag........ so slow..........

The fingerprint scanner is wonderful for privacy

Best feature so far is how darn thin and light the tab S 2 is - wow....... the tab S is a brick in comparison.

So funny, now my Note 5 is even thicker than my tablet!!!!

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I picked up the Verizon branded one, I'm very impressed. This device is so thin and light compared to my Note 10.1, and I'm enjoying the 4/3 screen for most tasks including typing. It's very fast and responsive too.

Breeze7c

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I have the S 10.4
WiFi only. Processor and ram work well together . Bought it in July after looking at the specs for the s2 very happy with this unit.