How's the Touchwiz lag on the Tab S2?

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought a Galaxy Tab S 8.4, and the Touchwiz lag is no exaggeration. Every interaction with the tablet has a noticeable lag and stutter. The Exynos 5 Octa 5420 is no slouch either, in theoretical benchmarks with no UI interference it runs pretty fast, almost identical performance as an SD 801. But once Touchwiz is slapped on, everything is held back. My Moto X with the SD 801 and stock Android skin is 10x smoother and faster than Touchwiz.

So how does Touchwiz perform on the new Galaxy Tab S2? I've read in reviews that it's been improved but I need an honest opinion about it. I'll be returning the Tab S 8.4 that I bought and I'm not sure if I want to go with another Samsung tablet, because of Touchwiz.

Wierdninja

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
I also had the Galaxy Tab S 8, and, the lag an that device was bad enough that I sold it. I loved the tablet, but, it did have issues. However, I decided to get the Galaxy Tab S2 9.4. This tablet is like butter. It is a beautiful device. I love it. Glad I bought it. It is now my favorite mobile device (I have the iPad Air 2). If we get Marshmellow 6.0 for it quickly it would be too awesome. Lollipop 5.1.1 is really nice. TouchWiz is really well done by Samsung. I love it. TouchWiz is pretty on this tablet. Buy this tablet, believe me it's worth every dime.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I have both the Tab S 8.4 and now the Tab S2 9.7. I haven't noticed this lag you describe on either of them, but these are the only tablets I've owned. Can you describe what I should be looking for?

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Well I went to Best Buy the other day to check out the Tab S 8, and I ended up buying the iPad Mini 4 lol. There were too many quibbles with the Tab S 8 that I didn't like, such as the capacitive touch buttons on the side when you hold in landscape, potential TouchWiz lag (I know some of you have said that the lag isn't noticeable, but it was very noticeable on the 8.4), potential lack of updates in the future, and the higher price. It also didn't help that every Tab S they had on display had burn in, I asked the sales associate how long they had been on display and she said a couple months, which didn't fill me with confidence on buying one. Meanwhile although I prefer Android over iOS, at least iOS is smooth and lag free compared to TouchWiz. iPads will always get the latest updates, but I wouldn't count on it for Samsung Tabs. And the iPad Mini 4 is $300, which is cheaper than the Tab S 8. I can live without the expandable storage, and although the SUPERAMOLED screen on the Tab S is the best reason to get it, I really couldn't live with those capacitive touch buttons always getting in the way when I'm holding it in landscape.

Little Squirt

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I went to Best Buy the other day to check out the Tab S 8, and I ended up buying the iPad Mini 4 lol. There were too many quibbles with the Tab S 8 that I didn't like, such as the capacitive touch buttons on the side when you hold in landscape, potential TouchWiz lag (I know some of you have said that the lag isn't noticeable, but it was very noticeable on the 8.4), potential lack of updates in the future, and the higher price. It also didn't help that every Tab S they had on display had burn in, I asked the sales associate how long they had been on display and she said a couple months, which didn't fill me with confidence on buying one. Meanwhile although I prefer Android over iOS, at least iOS is smooth and lag free compared to TouchWiz. iPads will always get the latest updates, but I wouldn't count on it for Samsung Tabs. And the iPad Mini 4 is $300, which is cheaper than the Tab S 8. I can live without the expandable storage, and although the SUPERAMOLED screen on the Tab S is the best reason to get it, I really couldn't live with those capacitive touch buttons always getting in the way when I'm holding it in landscape.

Concerning the "inconvenience" of having those home, back, and recent apps buttons on the left side of the Tab in landscape mode, I usually just tap that always-available/onscreen round blue (universal?) button with 4 white dots in it to activate those previously mentioned functions. You can also set it for other functions, but I prefer to use it for easy access to home, back, notifications, etc. ☺

Sent from my Galaxy Tab S2...

Posted via the Android Central App

slowdyve

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
In my country iPad mini 4 is more expensive...

I owned a tab s 8.4 and that was the perfect example how TouchWiz ruins a device. So much lag and blotware... After 3 months I sold it.

From what I had read and tested on the stores I decided to give another chance to Samsung. Glad I did. No lag whatsoever on tab s2. I don't have the need to install a custom room. I don't even use an alternate launcher.

Despite I'm very happy with tab s2 I'm concern because whenever I visit a store I always see tab s2 and other Samsung devices with burn in...
Makes me think if it's better to sell now and buy an iPad mini 4...

Last edited:

SpEkTrUm87

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Those units in store have burn in from being on all day everyday in retail mode which cranks the screen settings even brighter to combat the intense lighting in todays showrooms. Average consumer use should not see this same issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey