I can't charge my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2(8.9) from a computer, what can I do?

A

AC Question

I can't charge my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2(8.9") from a computer

When I connect my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 to the USB ports on both my MacbookPro and my Dell 3011 AIO PC, I get the error that "Slow Charging" is enabled and "To charge faster, please connect the original charger", I have tested the connection to the computers using the original charger and 3 other USB charger I have, they all show the same charging error when connected. When I connect the tablet to an outlet connected to the wall, it will charge fine. I just read that "All USB ports on a MacBook Air/Pro are the standard 500 mA (milliamps) at 5 V (Volts). However when an Apple device (that require or can use more mA) is plugged in it can output up to 1100 mA at 5 V."The tablet also doesn't show up as a drive on my Macbook but it does show on the PC(Dell 3011 AIO), even though both give the charging error when it's connected.

Flashfox

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: I can't charge my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2(8.9") from a computer

If you look at the stock charger that comes with the TAB S2, you will see that it's rated at 5V & 2A. So 1100ma (or 1.1A) and definitely 500mA will definitely result in slow charging. I wonder why you simply don't use the stock AC charger?

BlaqSakura

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for responding. Even when I use the charger that came with the Tab it still shows as slow charging on my Mac, and it doesn't show up as a drive like it does on my PC. I have a portable charger that has a 5V 2.1A port and it still shows as slow charging. Could there be something wrong with the device, it has no issue if plugged into a wall outlet and when it's in slow charging mode the divice says it's "Not Charging" when I check the Battery settings

BlaqSakura

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Also just tested with some more chargers and power plugs. I have a power cable that has an output of only 500mA, it connects to the wall and doesn't show as slow charging. I read that even if the device is outputting enough power, if I don't use the stock charger it will show as slow charging. I don't mindd it saying slow charging tbh, I just don't like that when I check the battery it says "Not Charging" and I don't want to damage the battery by using chargers that make it charge slow or not at all .

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
If you want it to charge normally, use the Tab S2 charger or another charger that outputs 2A. I have used another charger which outputs 2A and it charged fine. Some devices, such as a smartphone which typically expects 1 to 1.5A, may be able to charge at a slower rate if you give it less than the amps it expects, but devices may not charge at all if the minimal amps needed to charge is not supplied. It seems the Tab S2's minimal amperage for charging is greater than what the MacBook Pro's USB outputs. I connected my Tab S2 to the USB of my (mid-2012) MBP and it also does not charge, just like you described. My phone (Nexus 5) can charge from my MBP's USB, but not my Tab S2. I believe that's normal. Hope that helps.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Also, to add to what lets_go_android said, try a different cable (preferably the one that came with your Tab S2. Not all USB cables are created equal.

Si Bak

Dec 16, 2016
Visit site
Bought Samsung Tab2 just last year. Although it physically connected by original USB cable to the laptop, it cannot be charged by laptop. The laptop does not even recognized Samsung. Tab2. Not sure is a WIN10 problem. Anyone know what happen?