Tab S2 not receiving WAAS satellites.

Equinsu ocha

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Tonight I was playing around with a few GPS apps and noticed that the elevation (height above sea level) was reading a different value than my other phones with GPS. Looking at the list of received satellites I found that it is not receiving any of the WAAS satellites while my smartphones are receiving a WAAS signal. If you have a GPS app that lists the satellite numbers the WAAS sats are 33 through 51. WAAS provides a correction to GPS for accuracy.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Info about WAAS here. WAAS Description

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a link to an app that shows the WAAS signals? My apps only show the normal GPS signals, so I can't tell if it's your tab or not. (My current measured altitude is a lot further off than the standard [without WAAS] GPS spec of 7.6 meters - it's about 50 meters off at 31 meters AMS.)

Equinsu ocha

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Any app that displays the satellite numbers will work. The two I use are called GPS Test and GPS Status. Here's a screen shot from GPS test. The satellite numbers are along the bottom with the signal strength displayed above in a bar.

Screenshot_2016-01-09-00-39-38.jpg

Equinsu ocha

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
It's more of a curiosity than a complaint. I'm not planning to use my Tab S2 for navigation. It's just odd they would include the ability to receive GLONASS sats but not WAAS. Assuming that's the case.

If this rain ever stops I'll go stand outside in my back yard and give the best chance of receiving a WAAS signal.

Last edited:

orientifold

Sep 6, 2019
Visit site
Unlike those are WAAS sats. If the number corresponds to PRN, then 30 was a GPS sat while 66 was a GLONASS sat. WAAS numbers are always over 120.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12