Decided to get an S2, but having trouble deciding on which size

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
I want to get a Galaxy Tab S2, but I can't decide which size. I'll be using it for reading and movies and stuff like that. I was looking at both sizes at Best Buy and the 9.7 isn't really that much bigger than the 8. One of the things that has me leaning toward the 9.7 is that it comes in a 64GB model. The 8 inch only seems to come in 32GB.

How do movies and stuff look on it, since I read it's a 4:3 display? Can it do HD with 4:3? Or maybe widescreen with bars?

Thanks in advance.

myrcgarage

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I went with 9.7 inch because I had an 8 inch tablet before. The reason for S2 9.7 is because of 4:3 ratio as well. I love it a lot more than 16:9 ratio because I don't watch movies all day long, but I read and surf the web a lot more. When it is used in Landscape mode, 16:9 ratio is so much smaller, height wise compared to 4:3 ratio.

For movies, it has black bars, but it really doesn't bother me at all. Some people said to get the black version so that the black bars blend in. I have white version and I don't notice the bars once you are into the movie.

I chose 9.7 also because I can write on it a lot easier. With 8.0, you cannot write too big.

I hope this helps.

espio

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
My previous tablet was the Nexus 7 (2012), which was nice but it was a bit small for reading. I love my Tab S2 9.2 for reading comics and news. Also is good for streaming shows and movies. No regrets on moving to a larger tablet.

shstrang98

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I bought the 9.7 model mainly because I have an iPad mini and wanted the larger size for reading magazine's and e-books.

Having said that I'm wishing I'd bought the 8" version for portability. The iPad mini is the perfect size and the 8" is the same size.

I'll probably buy an 8" TAB A to take with me on trips.

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Well, I went with the 9.7" 32GB model. I found out that the 64GB model is a Best Buy exclusive, but it wasn't in stock so I got the 32GB. I love it and can't believe how thin it is lol. Thanks for the replies.

PW_Irvine

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
The 8" model is lighter and easier to hold. I have the 9.7" model and sometimes it is just too darn heavy if your arm(s) are unsupported.

Sir Loyne

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I got the 8" version. Movies, comics and books look great on it. If I had a complaint about holding it, it's that I wish the bezel was wider on the sides. It's narrow enough to palm it, but there's not really enough room to hold it in one hand without your thumb being on the screen in portrait mode. I also wish the back was less slippery. Having it in a case does more than protect it... it makes it easier to hold. That might just be me, though.

I don't understand why people complain about watching a movie on a 4:3 screen. The black bars are really, really black. It isn't like they're a kinda dark grey or anything. And who cares anyway? Do these same people complain about the bars on the side when they're watching a full screen video on a wide screen tablet? Do they complain about bars when they're watching a 2.35:1 movie on a 1.78:1 screen? Somehow I doubt they do. This is the most ridiculous thing for people to complain about.

If 32GB isn't enough, get yourself a 128GB card for $40 at Amazon with all the money you'll save by not getting the 9.7 version.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12