Should I buy Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0"?

A

AC Question

Hi
I'm planning to get myself a tablet, because I try to avoid using my PC (because I'm working with it for 8 hours straight).

The best option on the market seems to be the Galaxy Tab S2. It's cheap enough to justify the cost of a device only for procrastination and - gathering from the reviews - it's generally a good device.

However - my biggest fear is, how does it compare with my current phone, the Galaxy S7 Edge. I know it's slower, but by how much. I'm scared, that it may be significantly less ... pleasurable to use, compared to my phone. I had a similar situation, when I got (fortunately for free) a Galaxy Tab 3, which was so terrible that I actually avoided to use it. I'm a bit afraid that the same situation would happen with the Tab S2.

What I'd like to do with my deivce? Simple stuff - Spotify, YouTube and Chrome. No games, no work stuff.

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: Should I buy Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0"?

I'm currently an owner of the Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 and the S7 Edge. The tablet is extremely snappy, more so than the S7E IMO. This tablet will be able to handle everything you throw at it and then some. You will not be disappointed.

Also, it's worth noting that I heavily utilize the Team Viewer app on my Tab to remotely manage several servers / clients. I've never had any issues with the tablet not being able to handle the connection while making complex changes on my servers while using Team Viewer.

For media viewing the display is stellar. The screen refreshes at a minimum of 240hz and the color quality is stunning. I can easily stream a 3 hour baseball game and only consume 20% battery.

Last edited:

Sir Loyne

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
The screen itself is fantastic. I've loaded up a 64GB card with documentaries and they look great. And it's great for comics. The 4:3 ratio is perfect for a tablet. I don't get what people are complaining about. The WiFi however... that's just terrible compared to my 7" Tab 4. Anything under 4 bars out of 4 for a signal strength and I get extremely frequent dropouts. Streaming music is next to impossible.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I have the Tab S2 Nook Varient and it's a nice little device. We had no problems watching Star Wars Ep VII on it the other night casting it to my wireless display adapter.

It's light... Lighter than my iPhone 6s+

My daughter also has one and loves it. We got the Nook varient because of its integration with B&N's eBook library. I can download books for both my daughter and I.

My two cents

Posted via the Android Central App

Steve H Gotha

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased the Nook 8.0 version as the deal was just too good to pass up, $258 after B&N discount. It is fast and very comfortable to use, very light weight. I also have an S7 Edge and don't feel like I am missing out when using the tablet.

Posted via the Android Central App

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased the Nook 8.0 version as the deal was just too good to pass up, $258 after B&N discount.

Me too! Install your favorite launcher from the Play Store and it's the perfect tablet.

My daughter also has one and loves it. We got the Nook varient because of its integration with B&N's eBook library. I can download books for both my daughter and I.

You don't need to get the S2 Nook to read books. The Nook app is available on the play store and can be installed on any Android device (as well as the Kindle and Overdrive apps). Of course Barnes & Noble having the S2 Nook at $100 off makes it a tablet bargain.:D

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Me too! Install your favorite launcher from the Play Store and it's the perfect tablet.

You don't need to get the S2 Nook to read books. The Nook app is available on the play store and can be installed on any Android device (as well as the Kindle and Overdrive apps). Of course Barnes & Noble having the S2 Nook at $100 off makes it a tablet bargain.:D

Is the fact that it has the app pre-installed the only difference? I wasn't sure when I was shopping.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Is the fact that it has the app pre-installed the only difference?
I don't have a stock S2 to compare it to but it appears that the only difference is that the launcher shows your Nook library. I installed the Google Now launcher which I have used on all my phones but you can install whichever one you wish.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Yes, I know. But when we were looking for a tablet to replace my daughter's Nabi 2, we went with the B&N Edition of the Tab S2 because it has really great specs, it's identical in every way to the standard 8.0" Tab S2 hardware wise, it has Nook integrated into it, AND we got that $100 off. It does EVERYTHING that the standard Tab S2 does and we get the B&N integration to boot without taking a performance hit. So it was win-win for both of us.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
it has Nook integrated into it,we get the B&N integration to boot without taking a performance hit

Integrated? It's just a widget which also comes with the Nook app from the play store. No "performance hit" either way.

As an avid reader (I worked for Barnes & Noble for ten years and have owned three Nooks) I also use the Kindle app and lately added the Overdrive app which allows me to check out ebooks from my local library.

Last edited:

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The tab s2 has been faster than my s6 edge plus and my S7. .I don't know why but maybe less heat throttling......u will have no issues

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Integrated? It's just a widget which also comes with the Nook app from the play store. No "performance hit" either way.

As an avid reader (I worked for Barnes & Noble for ten years and have owned three Nooks) I also use the Kindle app and lately added the Overdrive app which allows me to check out ebooks from my local library.

How does "pre-installed" sound then? :-D At any rate, it's still a really good tablet for the price. So to the OP, I recommend the Tab S2.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
How does "pre-installed" sound then? :-D

Great!:D

At any rate, it's still a really good tablet for the price.

Absofreakinglutely.

So to the OP, I recommend the Tab S2.

I do as well. To save $100 on the S2 8.0 go to:

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 NOOK 8" Black by Barnes & Noble | 9781400697588 | NOOK | Barnes & Noble

The Nook stuff (if your not into reading) is easily bypassed leaving you with one of the best tablets out there.

Also- Looking for a case? I got this one for $6.99 ($32.96 0ff the regular price):

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Tab-8-0-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5151533

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
To save $100 on the S2 8.0 go to:

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 NOOK 8" Black by Barnes & Noble | 9781400697588 | NOOK | Barnes & Noble

The Nook stuff (if your not into reading) is easily bypassed leaving you with one of the best tablets out there.

Also- Looking for a case? I got this one for $6.99 ($32.96 0ff the regular price):

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Tab-8-0-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5153203

Yeah what he said. Also B&N have some nice book style cases: I have this one, but B&N offers other colors and styles too..

8in 2-way Stand in Midnight Blue | 9780594626411 | Item | Barnes & Noble

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2