Hi! I just started receiving Marshmallow update notice on my Tab S2 and I don't want it!!!!! I accidently updated to Marshmallow on my S6 Edge + and only THEN did I find out that the update does NOT allow extra 3rd party fonts- NOT SUPPORTED !!!!! I have like about 100 - 200 fonts on my Tablet that I have painstakingly collected since I got my tablet in Feb... Samsung wants us only to use THEIR fonts, and most you have to pay for!!!! What's up with THAT???? .I am ignoring the notice for now... How long before it automatically updates to Marshmallow on my Tab S2- God forbid! But I hear that if you don't upgrade they will do it any way... I have Verizon, if that matters... our laptop just automatically updated the browser, and we didn't want it! Thanks for your answer in advance!!!
    Joanie
    06-09-2016 08:47 PM
    I can't say for how long you can stave off. I do know a way to make it stop (at least on non carrier devices). But it involves a factory reset because in your case it already has detected the update.

After a factory reset (remember to remove Google Accounts before resetting), activate the phone offline, then simply go to settings>about device>software updates>set everything to manual, so it won't automatically check for updates.

Same goes for everything you own (laptop browsers etc), jusy turn off automatic updates in the browser.
    06-09-2016 09:45 PM
    Hi Chan Chan!
    Thanks for responding! I have my Tab S2 through Verizon- that's what u mean by having a non- carrier device, right? Well, I was just forced to do a factory reset because I kept getting the notice- "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped working" - I tried EVERYTHING that was suggested online, to no avail- I tried to empty the system UI cache and Data- it wouldn't let me- I tried clearing the cache partition in recovery mode, and a few other fixes that were suggested- the guy at the phone repair shop tried a few other things- nothing- he said I had to do a factory reset , so I did (didn't know anything about removing the GOOGLE stuff, tho) So thank God that worked - tablet is fine, but I had to go about trying to make it like it was...
    But, if they make me go to Marshmallow, I protest- I believe rooting the tablet will be my only answer- hopefully I am able to do that with a Verizon device- The guy at the shop said that Verizon locks the bootloader- is that true? I think he just didn't want to root my tablet? What's with Verizon? Is that true? Then, if I don't use Verizon, what do I do? Very ignorant of carrier vs. non- carrier - where would I get service? Thanks again for your responses! You're great! Joanie
    06-10-2016 08:04 PM
    Hi Chan Chan!
    Thanks for responding! I have my Tab S2 through Verizon- that's what u mean by having a non- carrier device, right? Well, I was just forced to do a factory reset because I kept getting the notice- "Unfortunately, System UI has stopped working" - I tried EVERYTHING that was suggested online, to no avail- I tried to empty the system UI cache and Data- it wouldn't let me- I tried clearing the cache partition in recovery mode, and a few other fixes that were suggested- the guy at the phone repair shop tried a few other things- nothing- he said I had to do a factory reset , so I did (didn't know anything about removing the GOOGLE stuff, tho) So thank God that worked - tablet is fine, but I had to go about trying to make it like it was...
    But, if they make me go to Marshmallow, I protest- I believe rooting the tablet will be my only answer- hopefully I am able to do that with a Verizon device- The guy at the shop said that Verizon locks the bootloader- is that true? I think he just didn't want to root my tablet? What's with Verizon? Is that true? Then, if I don't use Verizon, what do I do? Very ignorant of carrier vs. non- carrier - where would I get service? Thanks again for your responses! You're great! Joanie
    Carrier device means you got it from a carrier like Verizon. Non carrier device pertains to the devices you use for BYOD. You buy it direct from Samsung or an authorised and is not tied to any carrier, and you can use it on any carrier you want, at least outside of the US. You can buy a sim for it and it's fine. You're in the US so it can be tricky. I'm in Asia, and the situation here is a bit similar to Europe. If I get a device that's not carrier branded, I can just swap sim cards and I'm on a different carrier. The phones outside the US are cross carrier compatible. In the US I think Sprint phones won't necessarily work with Verizon or Tmobile and vice versa.

As I said, just turn off the automatic device updates in the settings.

Locked bootloader means you'll have trouble rooting it, if you even manage to root it.

May i ask what's wrong with Marshmallow? I'm on Marshmallow and it's fine.
    06-10-2016 09:10 PM
    Hi again!-
    So, it's all about the 3rd party apps for FONTS!!!! I LOVE to have lots of fonts on my device that change the whole system fonts, like FB and the like! On Marshmallow, they are not supported- my phone went to Marshmallow automatically and now I am stuck with only Samsung fonts, of which there are only a few for free and about 20 that you have to pay them for! I have downloaded about 200 fonts from Google Play store apps such as iFont and Hifont and Fontfix. None of them will work once it goes to Marshmallow! I think this is wrong! Samsung wants the money!!! I know it may seem crazy to some, but I have seen MANY complaints online about this! We are font lovers! I change my font on my tablet several times a day! That's the only complaint I really have, but to me it's a big one!!!! LOL!!! I hope I can root the tablet when the time comes!
    06-10-2016 10:56 PM
    On your phone, try to search for FlipFonts. Those fonts work with the S7. There are several on the PlayStore that are free.

Edit. NVM. They don't.
    06-10-2016 11:13 PM