Samsung Tab S2 and the future?

Lexer

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have just bought the Samsung Tab S2 (2016 ed) for internet and comics and are a bit concern about how long the device will be suported. I know that most phones do only get 1 or 2 android versions from the manufacturer, custom roms is the only way to get new versions of Android on to a outdated(according to manufacturer) device. If the manufacturer do not release the software("drivers") the custom rom could be tricky to get stable. How is it looking for the Samsung Tab S2(2016 ed/SMT813BK)? Is it likely that there will be custom roms that takes newer version of Android to the tablet then the manufacturer supports without any problems?

From what I read, the Samsung Tab S3 is already on its way, Samsung could announce it 1 September 2016.

You orit

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I have not read on it but it all sounds logical in the way these devices evolve. Os 7.0 ( nougat )? is in beta working it's way to the masses so any company that is not preparing a new device should be or just released one. Samsung is due for an S3. I myself have had great, trouble free phone and tablet years with apple devices beginning on Christmas 2007. To this day I get solid ( boaring ) usage.
S2 was my first crack at android and although I think it's a really great operating and eco system,Samsung has failed in distributing Os updates. I'm due for 6.0 according to rumor... Many do have the update. It's just that there is not the numbers of these S2 's out there causing a lag in the send. Not like the number of apple devices but they get it done. S2 is an awsome machine in its own right deserving of new system(s). Samsung heads should put down their grasshopper on a stick and acknowledge who gets what and where.
Good luck

9 11 01 Never Forget.
-----------------------

Lexer

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I have not read on it but it all sounds logical in the way these devices evolve. Os 7.0 ( nougat )? is in beta working it's way to the masses so any company that is not preparing a new device should be or just released one. Samsung is due for an S3. I myself have had great, trouble free phone and tablet years with apple devices beginning on Christmas 2007. To this day I get solid ( boaring ) usage.
S2 was my first crack at android and although I think it's a really great operating and eco system,Samsung has failed in distributing Os updates. I'm due for 6.0 according to rumor... Many do have the update. It's just that there is not the numbers of these S2 's out there causing a lag in the send. Not like the number of apple devices but they get it done. S2 is an awsome machine in its own right deserving of new system(s). Samsung heads should put down their grasshopper on a stick and acknowledge who gets what and where.
Good luck

9 11 01 Never Forget.
-----------------------

Its like this with all Android device manufacturers, they only support 1 or 2 system versions then the device is off the grid. The only way to get a new system version is to install custom roms. The problem is however that the manufacturers do usually not release "drivers" so there is a risk that a custom rom will not work as good as the stock. To get a custom rom there need to be a interest and some developers and that is not easy to get on tablets from what I heard.

So it looks like that you will have to live with a outdated system after 4-5 years on a android tablet, the question is how this will affect the apps. Will there be alot of apps that cant be installed/runned?

I have been using Apple IPad for a long while and they are alot better in supporting old devices, maybe this is what make the second hand value so high compare to Android devices. I have a IPad 2 that still works okay even if it is a bit slow.

This could vary well be the reason for me to stay put on the IPad and return the Android.

If there just was any way to get the hardware to last 5-8 years on an Android I would keep it!

I know about Nexus but thay do not have a tablet that could compete right now. I have head about one on its way but there is no sure thing i guess.

You orit

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Its like this with all Android device manufacturers, they only support 1 or 2 system versions then the device is off the grid. The only way to get a new system version is to install custom roms. The problem is however that the manufacturers do usually not release "drivers" so there is a risk that a custom rom will not work as good as the stock. To get a custom rom there need to be a interest and some developers and that is not easy to get on tablets from what I heard.

So it looks like that you will have to live with a outdated system after 4-5 years on a android tablet, the question is how this will affect the apps. Will there be alot of apps that cant be installed/runned?

I have been using Apple IPad for a long while and they are alot better in supporting old devices, maybe this is what make the second hand value so high compare to Android devices. I have a IPad 2 that still works okay even if it is a bit slow.

This could vary well be the reason for me to stay put on the IPad and return the Android.

If there just was any way to get the hardware to last 5-8 years on an Android I would keep it!

I know about Nexus but thay do not have a tablet that could compete right now. I have head about one on its way but there is no sure thing i guess.

Of course apple is better. Better quality also. My point is do not advertise updates are coming, make lists and promises if you can not handle the job. I like this tab S2 but what if I weren't a user who just youtubes, netflix's and uses art apps.?
It's deception.
I'm not ever buying another samsung anything. I would definitely try google products. They seem to have satisfied Thierry consumers well. Everyone for that matter except samsung. They do not care either. They might even have diluted the world's S2's with updates so forums like this specify hits and misses forcing idiots to go out and spend another 3 or 400 on an already marshmallow ready device o o t box.
Not me. Not only will I never respect a Samsung device again but I hold such higher respect for an American run company like Apple. I'll use this little S2 until it crooks but when I want to go spend money and the 3 or 4 dozen people that I know will listen to my recommendations to not buy samsung if they know what's good for them. So I cost samsung many thousands of dollars they would have had otherwise. Just helps me sleep better.
Again, I will get my full money's worth out of this S2 because an upgrade would not have given me more than a novelty that would have lasted two days anyway.
When I use my air 2 I hold it in much higher reverence and shop for more apple stuff. Maybe a nexus brand item because google knows how not to pissed off 45% of their market. They just look and research samsung then do otherwise. Lol.
Samsung funny lol

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I just bought 9.7" S2 two months ago, Amazon, and already had 6.01 MM installed. S is WiFi only, not carrier version where ATT would push updates.