How do I update the micro SD card?

nickjones33

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I'm running out of storage & want to replace my micro SD card with a card with more storage. I've backed up my system. Is there anything else I need to do before I remove the old card & replace with the new card? Obviously I will format it after insertion.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you've moved apps to the old SD card, make sure you move them back to the tablet first using the App Manager (hopefully you have enough Internal Storage to do this for all apps). When you insert the new card, you can move the apps back to SD.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you've never moved an app to the SD card, then you don't have to worry about it. On some (but not all) phones, you can move a portion of an app to the SD card by going to the App Manager, selecting the app, then tapping the Move to SD button. For those apps, you can reverse this by tapping Move to Phone.

nickjones33

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks again.. Mine is a tablet but I assume it is the same. Presumably, after I install the new card and hit restore, files stored on the old card will be placed on the new one?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Google backup setting is only for Google apps and 3rd party apps that actually take advantage of being able to backup data to your Google account. Unfortunately, not many 3rd party apps do this, and it's hard to figure out which apps do and which don't. See this support page: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2819582?hl=en

EDIT: I just remembered where you can find a list of your apps that backup to Google. On your computer browser, go to any Google site and click your avatar at the upper right, then click My Account. The click Personal Info & Privacy, then scroll down to Google Dashboard. Then click on Android, and you'll see a listing there of "Applications with backup on servers."

nickjones33

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I've been looking at that. Re the "Android back up", I believe that the Samsung back up fulfils that task. I will go ahead & see what happens. I can always go back to my original card if it doesn't work.

Thanks again for your continued assistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463