SD Card corruption! Twice...

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I've had two MicroSDXC cards go bad while in the S2 8.0 One was a Samsung card and the second a PNY. Has anyone else lost TWO of these card within a year or so? Other than this, my S2 has been a stellar performer. When these cards go, they can't be reformatted or read by any devices.

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I stopped using cards because of issues like these, but sorry to hear you're having bad luck with them.

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Where did you buy them? If it was from somewhere like eBay, there's a very high scam market for storage devices. If they're legitamate then re-format them. However, if the cards have hardware damage (i.e burnt-out transistors ect...) then they're too far gone.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Where did you buy them? If it was from somewhere like eBay, there's a very high scam market for storage devices. If they're legitamate then re-format them. However, if the cards have hardware damage (i.e burnt-out transistors ect...) then they're too far gone.

I can't reformat them because they are not visible to any devices. At least these things all carry lifetime warranties so I am getting replacements for free, minus my return shipping. Bought from Best Buy and B & H.

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I can't reformat them because they are not visible to any devices. At least these things all carry lifetime warranties so I am getting replacements for free, minus my return shipping. Bought from Best Buy and B & H.
That's probably the best option. It sounds like a hardware issue. Perhaps a burnt out transistor?

slinky826

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I just had a 64GB Samsung card go out 2 weeks ago, same thing, can't be seen by devices and won't format. Been in my S2 9.7 for a year. Then poof, dead. Just like you described.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I just had a 64GB Samsung card go out 2 weeks ago, same thing, can't be seen by devices and won't format. Been in my S2 9.7 for a year. Then poof, dead. Just like you described.

The RMA from Samsung took a long time as I recall. So long that I bought the PNY card. Of course, three days after buying the PNY card the Samsung replacement appeared in my mailbox.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Great app to recover corrupted SD Cards. It's called PhotoRec. Google it...it's inbedded within another app called TestDisk. It's not the most user friendly, but I have been more successful than not using it.

findmyphone

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Great app to recover corrupted SD Cards. It's called PhotoRec. Google it...it's inbedded within another app called TestDisk. It's not the most user friendly, but I have been more successful than not using it.

The app can't "see" the SD card to recover or reformat. Thanks for the suggestion though. I have an RMA and my card is going back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm