Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T710 overheating when OFF and plugged in!

kaiser_butt

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm really hoping someone can help me.

I have a Samsung galaxy tab s2 8inch. It is the SM-T710.

It was working fine playing music on a Bluetooth speaker system then the battery died.

Tried to charge it and it was acting funny, said it was charging then got to one or two percent and i attempted to power on while the device is on charge and it powered on then turned off within a few seconds.

Let the tablet charge for a while now and its not really going up and the screen has gone off and its not turning on and i now notice its getting really hot at the bottom part of the screen slightly above the home button.

Removed the charger and left it for one hour, then came back and tried with a different new genuine Samsung charger and cable, and still getting extremely hot within a few 5 - 10 seconds just above the home button.

Unplugged it and left it till the next day and attempted to charge it again same thing.

I though it could be either: A faulty battery or A faulty Micro USB charging port flex (possibly short circuiting).

Now Ive opened up the whole device and taken apart every item on the mother board following a tear down video on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB1ovCcEyFc

I then connected a brand new genuine battery to the board and removed the old one, and the device was still overheating however this time i could pin point the exact source of heat on the motherboard which i will circle on the images that Ive attach to this post.

I then thought the micro USB charging port flex is causing a short circuit and so i completely disconnected that and the overheating problem still occurred.

Then i disconnected each and every component one by one and still the same thing on the motherboard keeps overheating excessively within seconds of connecting the battery to the motherboard.

Now Ive completely removed the motherboard from the frame and Ive connected the battery to it and same overheating issue.

Now Ive reconnected just the micro USB charging port back to the motherboard and attempted to plug a charging cable into the port and exactly the same thing still overheating excessively.

I really do not want to replace my motherboard simply because of the data on the device etc.

Can someone please tell me what the red circled item is in my image so i know what is overheating!

Could it be the CPU?

Is there ANY other way to replace JUST that part, even in china? Can anyone advise or help me?

Many thanks to the people who patiently read this and helped.

Kaiser
London, UK

Attachments

• 20170114_044604-min.jpg
    20170114_044604-min.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20170114_044824-min.jpg
    20170114_044824-min.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170114_044958-min.jpg
    20170114_044958-min.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170114_045035-min.jpg
    20170114_045035-min.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20170114_045110-min.jpg
    20170114_045110-min.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 31

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow, it seems like you went through a lot to troubleshoot this problem. Before the teardown, did you perform a factory reset? Perhaps it was a rogue app running in the background?

As far as the circled piece, I'm not quite sure what that is. Hopefully someone else can chime in and provide further answers.

kaiser_butt

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Thank you very much for your response. Yes, i went through a lot of trouble and I'm hoping something good will come out of this. Before the teardown it was not possible to perform a factory reset as the tablet had 0% battery, and whenever i connected the charger it would not charge and would get extremely hot as i explained in my previous post. I tried to hold the vol up and vol down key with the power button and various other combinations to try and enter the software mode in order to attempt a factory reset but unfortunately it would not power up at all as the battery was completely dead. Lets just say for instance, the battery had some juice in it the device would just overheat as i found out when i connected a new battery that had some juice in it because all it did was overheat when i connected the new battery.

I really hope someone with some idea views this post and can help.

Thank you again.

vcmspt

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi Kaiser

Any resolution to your problem?
I had the exact same issue with the same model last year and it is still open wide waiting for some miracle..
I changed as well the battery and the micro USB charging port flex with genuine parts but the problem still remains.
The red circle should be some controller for the battery charging that overheats due to some short circuit, but just a wild guess.

Thanks,
VC

Olivier Roset

May 10, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I've got EXACTLY the same issue with my T715. It's only 13 months old and I'm really pissed off...
I'm ready to change the motherboard but can't find it anywhere (iFixit, eBay, ...) If anyone has a tip as to where I could find a decent spare part for my glorified paperweight I'd be most grateful.
thx
Ollie

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I've got EXACTLY the same issue with my T715. It's only 13 months old and I'm really pissed off...
I'm ready to change the motherboard but can't find it anywhere (iFixit, eBay, ...) If anyone has a tip as to where I could find a decent spare part for my glorified paperweight I'd be most grateful.
thx
Ollie

Before consider a different mainboard, try this fix as it's common in Samsung tablets: cracked solder joints of battery connector will cause overheat and other charging issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaAKjmrMR2s

ganeshindeed

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,

It was working fine playing music on a Bluetooth speaker system then the battery died.

Tried to charge it and it was acting funny, said it was charging then got to one or two percent and i attempted to power on while the device is on charge and it powered on then turned off within a few seconds.

Let the tablet charge for a while now and its not really going up and the screen has gone off and its not turning on and i now notice its getting really hot at the bottom part of the screen slightly above the home button.

Removed the charger and left it for one hour, then came back and tried with a different new genuine Samsung charger and cable, and still getting extremely hot within a few 5 - 10 seconds just above the home button.

Unplugged it and left it till the next day and attempted to charge it again same thing.

I though it could be either: A faulty battery or A faulty Micro USB charging port flex (possibly short circuiting).

Now Ive opened up the whole device and taken apart every item on the mother board following a tear down video on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB1ovCcEyFc

I then connected a brand new genuine battery to the board and removed the old one, and the device was still overheating however this time i could pin point the exact source of heat on the motherboard which i will circle on the images that Ive attach to this post.

I then thought the micro USB charging port flex is causing a short circuit and so i completely disconnected that and the overheating problem still occurred.

Then i disconnected each and every component one by one and still the same thing on the motherboard keeps overheating excessively within seconds of connecting the battery to the motherboard.

Now Ive completely removed the motherboard from the frame and Ive connected the battery to it and same overheating issue.

Now Ive reconnected just the micro USB charging port back to the motherboard and attempted to plug a charging cable into the port and exactly the same thing still overheating excessively.

I really do not want to replace my motherboard simply because of the data on the device etc.

Can someone please tell me what the red circled item is in my image so i know what is overheating!

Could it be the CPU?

Is there ANY other way to replace JUST that part, even in china? Can anyone advise or help me?

Kaiser
London, UK

** Man that's an Awesome troubleshooting.

Any positive Outcome.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 T715, My tab has the exact same issue.

1.Changed Battery, It switched on, but not charging. The part mentioned getting very hot.

2. Changed the charging Port. Not charging.

3. Goin to Try the last one, as showed in the video.

Meanwhile any luck please inform.

MadsSA

Oct 5, 2018
Visit site
Hi All
I have now experienced this exact problem 2x, - luckily while my unit is still under warranty!
The scenarios leading up to the problem were similar.
1) Inserted a USB to SD adapter into tablet A and copied some pictures into the tablet. Removed the adapter. When i 10 minutes later wanted to load more pictures, the tablet did not see the SD. Shortly after, I noticed the heating. It continued heating after turning the tablet off, until the battery was depleted. Charging just resulted in more heat.
2) Inserted a USB Flash using an OTG cable into tablet B and copied some pictures from the tablet onto the USB stick. I removed the stick and cable. After a few minutes I noticed the heating, and thought 'ohh no, not again'. Managed to email some important files out of the tablet before it was bricked.
I believe the problem is somehow connected to the switching of power at the USB port. Normally it is a power input to charge the battery. But it must shift to source power to the external devices I used. Somehow a hardware or software issue creates a short circuit, and fries the power controller. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has experienced this after using external devices connected to the USB port.
I hope you guys find some solution. It's an awesome tablet when it works...
Regards, Mads

chukel

Aug 16, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Could it be the CPU?

Kaiser
London, UK
Any solution to this? I have exact same problem. What's that part that keeps heating up once the battery is connected. Mine happened after plugging usb power cord to charge the S2 device. It's not the battery cos I have tried a new battery. Could it be the charging port?

** Man that's an Awesome troubleshooting.

Any positive Outcome.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 T715, My tab has the exact same issue.

1.Changed Battery, It switched on, but not charging. The part mentioned getting very hot.

2. Changed the charging Port. Not charging.

3. Goin to Try the last one, as showed in the video.

Meanwhile any luck please inform.
Were you able to resolve this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This is a pretty old thread for a very old device, so it's unlikely that the folks from this thread will respond (especially since those were the only posts they ever made).