Can I map an IP address on our home LAN to a given IP name in my Galaxy Tab S2?

The webserver on my address 192.168.1.2 will only respond if the request is to an IP name which isn't resolved by our external (ISP) DNS.
    In my Windows systems, I map the name to the IP address in \etc\names and I'm good to go.

I might be able to arrange this in my router, but I'm more leery about tinkering with that than I am with my tablet.
    07-20-2017 09:47 AM
    Hi. I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. Are you trying to access your internal home network from outside?
    07-25-2017 02:29 AM
    I think I've posted this to the wrong forum, as I'm aware that you cannot edit Android's "names" file. I thought I was posting to the ASUS router forum.
    But, to answer your question, yes, I'm trying to arrange that swiftys.org.uk resolves to 192.168.1.2 for any device on our home/local LAN. I suspect that I'd need to update the router's names file. Most routers can accommodate this, but it's not obvious to me how to do it on our ASUS router.
    07-25-2017 05:07 AM
    Ok. Unfortunately, I can't help you there. I don't use ASUS routers. I'm not sure a moderator can move this to ASUS, since Android Central is pretty much for Android mobile devices.

I hope you get it figured out though.
    08-01-2017 04:10 PM
    I have an Asus RT-AC66U_B1 and don't see any way to that, either.
    08-01-2017 05:31 PM
    Well, just for information, I had this setup working in my ASUS router until a week ago. Then, the router failed to contact my ISP. It turned out to be an ISP problem, but I did a factory reset on the router. Ever since, my Android devices cannot contact my Apache HTTP server on our LAN.
    So, I know it CAN be done, but like others here I cannot work out how to achieve this.
    The connections are being rejected by the Apache HTTP server, and I can configure that to be more accommodating, but I did this originally for security reasons. Unfortunately I'm now not so clever as I was when I did that a few years ago...
    Thank for your patience with my rambling.
    08-03-2017 01:39 AM