7.0 worst update ever

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Been using Android since 2012 and this update is the most broken POS I've ever seen on Android and I did tech support for Verizon for 4 years. Multi window is broken and worse than before, I can't resize windows any more and most apps crash. Than my home button doesn't bring me home when in the app drawer, just refreshes the app drawer. Annoying!

Looks like I'm doing a factory reset. Disappointed as most upgrades go well, and to think I was actually waiting for this one.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I have to agree with you, Nougat is not a good version, it's buggy and had caused heaps of issues as seen by the forum posts. It's also taken away some useful functions... I'm getting used to it, but that doesn't mean I like it....

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. I'm on 7 on my Tab S2 (713) and S7 Edge phone and am not seeing the windowing problems or crashes. It's been very stable on my devices. Been using Android since Cupcake back in 2009.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Now my home button launches Google now and won't bring me home, disable Google and the button does nothing. Even lollifail was better, I don't get why anyone likes nougat, it's been a downgrade from marshmelow for both my Tab S2 and S7....oh well. Some updates blow, others are useful, just the way Android rolls.

Is it bad I think windows and iOS are better for tablets? I still can't use a number of apps in landscape on Android when even the windows app does it lol. Instagram is one such example.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Now my home button launches Google now and won't bring me home, disable Google and the button does nothing. Even lollifail was better, I don't get why anyone likes nougat, it's been a downgrade from marshmelow for both my Tab S2 and S7....oh well. Some updates blow, others are useful, just the way Android rolls.

Is it bad I think windows and iOS are better for tablets? I still can't use a number of apps in landscape on Android when even the windows app does it lol. Instagram is one such example.

I have 5 Android devices now and have had many others besides; I also have an iPad Air 2. The iPad is very nice but I have been using the Tab S2 more than the iPad because of the form factor and the fact that it works so well. The Instagram app on the iPad is just the iPhone app and does not work in landscape - you need to use the Safari web interface. iOS apps can be just as problematic as Android apps - it just depends on what the vendor chooses to support/provide.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Have you tried a reset and clean install?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Got a factory reset done, dreaded doing it because this is the device I play most mobile games on but had to be done. It's stable and my home button functions again! Samsung did severely limit multitasking though, checked my S7 and it's the same now. I can no longer swipe from the corner to make an app windowed for instance, but whatever.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Got a factory reset done, dreaded doing it because this is the device I play most mobile games on but had to be done. It's stable and my home button functions again! Samsung did severely limit multitasking though, checked my S7 and it's the same now. I can no longer swipe from the corner to make an app windowed for instance, but whatever.

Yeah, a reset is a pain but glad it provided some relief. Odd about the windowing problem, though - it works on both my Tab S2 and my S7 Edge, both on Nougat. I just tried on both with different apps to doublecheck and no problem. My S2 is an 8" T713, my S7 is a Sprint version.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Going back to your earlier statement on Android & tablets - my gut tells me that Android is moving more towards Chromebooks in the larger format department. You just don't see much in the Android high-end tablet market, products that could challenge the newer iPads. The newer iPads are really very nice - very polished all-around and with a rich supply of sophisticated applications available. But you pay a price for it - expensive and you're bound by the iOS ecosystem. But if someone were to ask me a recommendation on a large (9"+) tablet, I'd point to the iPad without hesitation (this coming from someone who first used a Mac back in '84 and swore he'd never buy into Apple). Having said that, I really do like the Tab S2 as a smaller format tablet and I'll continue to buy Android phones.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Pop up view is disabled by default on Nougat because of multiwindow everywhere. You cn always turn it on in settings.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
^ Thanks both of you for pointing out I had the ability to enable that I advanced features. Now my only real complaint is Chrome crashes every time I try pop up view but the other apps are working.

Although I've never owned one, I've used plenty of iPad, much better tablet software IMO but I don't see myself leaving android for my phone. To be honest what I use my tablet for it's not worth replacing for a few better apps or improved battery life anyway. I'm happy with the S2 most of the time, have a few windows tablets too.

Sir Loyne

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I have an 8" Tab S2 (T710) that I installed Nougat on. I'll be honest, I'm not a fan... at all. One good thing though, the WiFi, which was complete sh*t with Marshmallow, works great now. Of course that just means it was a software problem that could have been fixed, but Samsung chose to ignore it.

I recently got a 64GB 9.7" Asus Zenpad 3S 10 that came with Marshmallow. It checks weekly for updates (I can't turn that off) but it doesn't install them, and it says there's a system update. Will I be putting Nougat on it? Hell no. I had a 128GB card hanging around that I popped in so I got a brilliant tablet with 178GB for $300.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Still have a lot of problems with multi window, apps don't scale or resize the way they used to, and they frequently crash. It's pathetic the version of android that was supposed to bring multi window to all of Android actually ruined it for me.

I think I'm replacing this thing with an iPad rather than another Android tab.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Examples. Instagram no longer supports split screen, it works on my Kitkat, Lolipop, and Marshmallow devices I have lying around. Facebook will only work in portrait view for split screen, in landscape and my news feed doesn't show, it's compressed into this odd verical column while showing the birthdays and other meaningless crap that is normally to the right of the feed. Chrome crashes every time I try to split screen. YouTube videos quit playing, every Samsung device I've had since 2012 that worked on.

There is zero reason for split view to be a feature on my tablet at this point, Samsung or Google completely broke it, and I doubt it will get another update.

Don't mean to rant and complain, but I need to share my frustration some where.

quixoticduck

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
I'm deciding whether to update. I'm mainly worried about the things which led me to sell my previous tablet which was that it a) it used to restart at random even when it was left alone and not been used for hours
b) made a chime when it turned on/restarted (which woke me up if it restarted in the middle of the night)

Obviously there are other pros/cons, but does it do either of these things after the update? Thanks.
Also is 'trusted places' an option? I can't find it on 6.0 even though I have other Smart Lock options. edit: fixed on 6.0 by uninstalling google play services updates.

Scritter

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Glad I'm not the only one who isn't sold on Nougat.
I'm not having the display problems that seem to be coming up but I am HATING having to double tap everything I want to select on the screen. Am I missing a setting somewhere? I seem to remember a setting for this on my old Tab A.....

HELP....
(Please?)??

This is driving me nuts!

Go42

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
Still have a lot of problems with multi window, apps don't scale or resize the way they used to, and they frequently crash. It's pathetic the version of android that was supposed to bring multi window to all of Android actually ruined it for me.

I think I'm replacing this thing with an iPad rather than another Android tab.

That's what I am doing and it's all thanks to shoddy work by Samsung. I hade two note 7's then a Tab S2 and nothing gets updated! Notes burn up. Can't win with them. Back country navigator is going to iOS and I'm going with them.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
That's what I am doing and it's all thanks to shoddy work by Samsung. I hade two note 7's then a Tab S2 and nothing gets updated! Notes burn up. Can't win with them. Back country navigator is going to iOS and I'm going with them.

I like my S2 so much that on a trip I just returned from I never opened my iPad Air 2 (I took both tablets); I'll be leaving the iPad at home on an upcoming trip. And my S7 Edge has worked great. I also like Backcountry Navigator (paid version) but also check out Gaia GPS on the iPad - very polished and well-supported. I have Backcountry Navigator loaded on my S2 and S7 but also on an old 2013 Nexus 7 that I have in a ruggedized case for outdoor use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2