Bad SemiColon Colon Key Mapping - Microsoft Folding Bluetooth Keyboard - Samsung Tab S2 Android 7.0

A

AC Question

Just noticed my semi colon key doesnt map correctly. Maybe as a result of upgrading to 7.0? I've been on the road for the last half of 2017. just now getting home to my keyboard. Was faily sure it worked prior to these updates. I type code remotely over rdp. can't imagin the colon semicolon keys didnt work before..

Pressing Randolmly gives me - ;u;u[;uu[;uu
Holding shift gives me - GTGGGTGTB

I've tried a few other US keyboard settings.. it does change the colon semicolon key mappings.. but to other random garbage like above..

Ihave both the 8 and the 9 inch tab s2 tablets. same issue on both. both android 7.0.

I have a FINTIE bluetooth keyboard as well. no issues with key maping there.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I just tried my folding keyboard with my 8" Tab S2 (T713) running 7.0 and don't see this issue - I tested it in MS Word and K9 email. What app are you seeing this in? Have you tried forgetting it as a Bluetooth device and reconnecting? You could also try clearing the cache partition:

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28382

Last edited:

anyolduser123

Aug 12, 2017
Visit site
I just tried my folding keyboard with my 8" Tab S2 (T713) running 7.0 and don't see this issue - I tested it in MS Word and K9 email. What app are you seeing this in? Have you tried forgetting it as a Bluetooth device and reconnecting? You could also try clearing the cache partition:

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28382

Thats good to hear.

I have tried forgetting the device in bluetooth. no help.
I did a factory reset on the 9 inch tab s2. still android 7.0 but same semi colon issue remained. I didnt install any apps before testing.

this issue is occuring in any and all apps i try it in. even using RDP on remote windows machines. the issue is translating to other os.

plus this is occuring in 2 seperate devices... could it be the keyboard..?

I have an android 6.0 galaxy s7 edge i will test it out on shortly in the morning.

ready to sell the keyboard and hope a new one wont have the same issue.
couldnt really tell if there was a firmware update for this keyboard. just saw a 1.0 fireware download on microsofts site.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Checked my keyboard out on the Tab S2, a Nexus 7 on Android 6, and an iPad Air 2 and don't see an issue. If you're seeing it on 2 devices it sounds like a keyboard problem. I haven't done - or looked for - any f/w updates for the keyboard since getting it some time ago.

Last edited:

Scritter

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been fighting keyboard issues myself. I use the Samsung blue tooth keyboard cover.

What virtual keyboard are you using?

I had been using Swype for years (the lifetime of 4 different tablets!).

Turns out that using this software in combo with Nougat and the Samsung bluetooth keyboard messed up the hardware key mapping software system wide.

My semi colon typed the '@' .
The shifted 2 typed a horizontal lines to the end of the current line.
[cool in Evernote and Keep but a real pain in the *** when entering an email address on a form]
I was also having trouble with the shift keys - they wouldn't. Caps Lock was the only way to get a capital letter. Shift worked for some of the symbols - sometimes....

The solution was to disable the Samsung virtual keyboard, totally uninstall Swype, Install Gboard.

Key mapping problems solved!!!!!

BUT

Does any know where the setting for hiding the virtual keyboard but allowing the spellcheck/predictive line to show? I am currently using a Samsung bluetooth keyboard and less than 1/2 of my screen - the rest is covered by Gboard.....

Hope this helps! ;:;:;:)

Last edited: