SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Usually tablets get a couple major updates, but the S2 is now on it's third year, so that might not happen... The S3 will get it, even if late to the party, but it'll come. I think it's very likely that the S2 would see the update, but I wouldn't bet on it as Samsung seems to be very inconsistent when it comes to tablets.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Pfft! My Tab S2 still hasn't gotten Nougat, nor any other update for that matter. BlueBorne? Nope! KRACK? Nope!

My new S2 had an update to 7.0 waiting to be installed as soon as I set it up.

Have you gone to updates on your tablet and clicked on download updates to see if it is available?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Don't forget that there are 2 versions of tab S2. the 2nd version is only a bit over a year. I would not rule out Android 8 just yet. That being said, it's going to be a very long while before we get it.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
My new S2 had an update to 7.0 waiting to be installed as soon as I set it up.

Have you gone to updates on your tablet and clicked on download updates to see if it is available?

Yes. Nothing! Nada! I have the B&N Nook version. When I reached out to Samsung, they referred me to Barnes & Noble. When I reached out to Barnes & Noble, they referred me to Samsung. I love my Tab S2, I would like Nougat, but I'm more interested in security updates than actual OS updates.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes. Nothing! Nada! I have the B&N Nook version. When I reached out to Samsung, they referred me to Barnes & Noble. When I reached out to Barnes & Noble, they referred me to Samsung. I love my Tab S2, I would like Nougat, but I'm more interested in security updates than actual OS updates.
That's the trouble with those 'special editions'. Unless the special edition is a Samsung initiative like the Olympic editions, it's less likely to get updates. The B&N versions AFAIK are treated like carrier versions since I think B&N installs their apps as system apps, which counts as modification. I don't expect B&N to have the facilities like carriers to conduct the testing and server hosting of updates though. Carrier versions have their updates given to carriers and they will be the one to send update to their devices after their testing and bloating.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
That's the trouble with those 'special editions'. Unless the special edition is a Samsung initiative like the Olympic editions, it's less likely to get updates. The B&N versions AFAIK are treated like carrier versions since I think B&N installs their apps as system apps, which counts as modification. I don't expect B&N to have the facilities like carriers to conduct the testing and server hosting of updates though. Carrier versions have their updates given to carriers and they will be the one to send update to their devices after their testing and bloating.
Yes. B&N version has its apps built into the OS/firmware. Is not just an overlay like some think. Us Tab S2 Nook users were the last to get the Marshmallow update. I think B&N stopped supporting its Tab S2s not long after that.

Update: I got a security update a few days ago. That's the first update I've received in about a year.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781