Keyboard problem with TAB S2

Saturnv

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
I'm having problems when using Chrome browser on my Tab S2. When you first open it and say type something in Google search box all is well. Close that, switch to say eBay and try to type in the search box and although you can type on the keyboard, nothing appears in the box. Ditto any other Web form. Open a new tab and you can repeat the exercise, ie it works on the first site but not the next one. Tried flushing chrome cache, data, using a different keyboard, (using SwiftKey primarily), flushing keyboard, reinstalled the keyboard but no joy. So disabled Chrome, powered down and back up and re-enabled. Problem solved but only in the version 62 Chrome. As soon as it updates to the current version the problem returns. Any ideas anyone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What version of Android is it running? If it's Marshmallow or below, try uninstalling updates to Android System Webview. Sometimes the updates for this can cause various glitches.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Starting with Nougat, Chrome took over Android System Webview's functions. It's possible for Chrome updates to cause bugs with only certain devices, so wait until the next Chrome update to see if that fixes it. Make sure you send feedback to Google as well in the Help & Feedback option of Chrome's settings.

Saturnv

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
Thanks. I've already done the feedback via chrome so will wait until the next update though would have thought it would be affecting others too.

Saturnv

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
Thanks Sparksd. I'm beginning to think that I have an individual problem as it has not picked up on the Internet as a major issue. Might have to go for the nuclear option of a factory reset. Then again, the the new S4 is looking tempting.

Last edited:

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Today I let chrome update, same problem. Uninstalled and installed again and able to type passwords. No more updates until I get more info on this. Reported to google.

Saturnv

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
Got a new S4. On basic startup from factory settings with only gmail's account link and my bookmarks, the same problem. Argh!! Has surely to be a Chrome issue.

Saturnv

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
Solved. Downloaded Chrome Beta on my S2 and the problem is solved. So definitely a chrome issue. Be interesting to see what happens when we get the full version of the current beta.

Saturnv

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site
If you have a Gmail account and login to Google within chrome, it will sync your bookmarks to the beta version. Takes just a few seconds to download once you open the beta version. Don't worry as the beta version does not overwrite the full version so you get two apps effectively.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm