Pre-order Tab S3 with No Keyboard Covered Killed it For Me.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Personally wouldn't use the keyboard if they gave it to me, their mostly pointless on a thin and light android tablet.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
After the ”must have it on launch day” demand is satisfied, I expect to see a major price reduction on the S3. If not, it will fail. That is, become a niche product. Most folks won't pay iPad prices for an Android tablet, no matter how nice it is. Ironically, I'm in the minority- I would pay $700 for the right Android tablet, which is not the S3 since it doesn't have an integrated stylus.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, that is disappointing. A cheap memory card is a joke if they are trying to convince someone to pre order now.

I would have been more excited if they just knocked a few bucks of the pre order price.

castone001

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I ordered mine today on BestBuy. They are throwing in the 64gb Samsung sdcard which I would need to buy anyhow. I use my Tab Pro S all the time but it stopped getting updates so for me....I need/will use the new tab for work and play so its worth it to me.

for casual use I wouldn't bother though.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm waiting until a better offer comes in. I already have a 64gb SD card on my tab s2. I have 2 of them with two 64 gb cards. I need the keyboard cover as a freebie or I'm not buying right now.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
The same SD card they are giving away is only $29 at Best Buy right now. I might have gotten excited if it was the 128mb version.

Base_UK

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Does seem strange that we're getting a better launch deal over here, but I'm not complaining! 😀 I was waiting for the Chromebook plus, by looks like that is never being released in Europe, so gone for this instead

funpig

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I have bought matching keyboards in the past, a nifty folding infrared one for Palm and a thin Logitech magnetic bluetooth one for my iPad. I always like the idea of having the keyboard, but I practically never used them. When i was looking for a good cover for my S2, i debated getting a matching keyboard cover; decent ones from amazon only cost about $30. In the end, i decided to keep it thin and light and not have to lug an attached keyboard. I am still debating whether to get a folding portable keyboard which folds down to the size of a large pack of cigarettes which can be carried separately and used with any device, and not just specially sized to match the S2.

funpig

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
PS Also, check out the exchange rates.

The UK price including the keyboard is £600 which is almost USD$750. USD$599 and free 64 GB SD card at Best Buy is a better deal. With the difference you could buy the OEM keyboard at USD$129 and still have more than enough money for dinner for two at McD.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
I would have been just completely happy with the pricing of last year. I only care about an LTE version for Verizon, and i'm afraid its going to be $700, which i'm just not interested in upgrading at all. I suppose the increase in price is for the pen. I would rather that have been an option.

I agree with guys that the keyboard is something I would rarely ever use.
I use the Swiftkey app, with split side keyboard, on the smallest setting. Incredibly fast to type that way.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Available in U.K. Too

50cc18c7a4e50937dd7690a78ca3a955.jpg

funpig

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I just went to our local mall for lunch and popped into both the Samsung Store and the Apple Store.

The S3 back is mirror black shiny. I just swiped a few pages and did not have a chance to check out the performance against the S2. There was no S3 keyboard cover to examine. From the photos and youtube, the S3 keyboard seems to be similar the the S2 keyboard, using magnets instead of those metal buttons to hold the back panel to the tablet. Very similar book design to other keyboard covers.

If you want to check out a really nifty new keyboard, pop into the Apple Store. They are selling a smart cover keyboard for the iPad Pro. It looks exactly like the original ipad smart cover which has been around since the beginning of the ipad. There is the magnet which attaches to the left portrait side of the ipad like the original (it has some metallic connectors for the electronics). There is an extra flap on the cover which contains the very thin keyboard which can fold into the flap of the cover. Unbelievably thin. When you fold it, the keys are all covered and you almost cannot tell that there is keyboard there. The only thing is that with such thin-ness, the key travel is very slight and may take some getting used to when typing. (I apologize if this is old news. It has been a while since I went into the Apple Store to look at this stuff)

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with the OP... I'm on the fence not getting the keyboard for free. I was kinda hoping that would be an incentive for purchasing it but apparently not in the US. I like the size, but I just noticed the comparable iPod tablet released today is much cheaper than the S3. I'm going to wait for a while.

J

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Have the tab S2 and love the size and ratio but miss the s pen. Picked up a Tab A with s pen and seems to fit the bill, not too expensive and has a lot of the features of the Note 7. I'll wait till the S3 price drops and pick one up. Would love to have the QC 3.0 in a tablet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11