Home Screen and Icon frames settings greyed out

patty1955

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to remove the icon frames, but under Display it's greyed out. So is Home screen. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Google is usually my friend but not in this case. I can't find an easy/standard setting, I don't have any themes applied and enabling Developer Options doesn't help.
Any advice would be appreciated.

patty1955

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
That makes it even more puzzling. I don't think I've done anything to cause this. I'm hoping I don't have to factory reset and start over.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Those options will be unavailable if you aren't using the touchwiz launcher.
I use Nova and they are unavailable. I switched to TW and they are available.

patty1955

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I never got a good answer. I thought maybe the problem was that I had synced it to one of my other tablets so I did a factory reset. After that, the options were available. I changed them and then synced. Now the options are available. It's not a good solution, but it's a solution.

mattsydes

Apr 4, 2017
Visit site
I spoke to Samsung today and they said that the options should not be greyed out. After doing a soft reset with them and looking at safe mode they told me that I need to swap it out for a replacement tablet.

I had also synched from another device Originally and it picked up from both a tablet and a phone I had so perhaps thatits put of it.

A lso Touch Wiz stopped working a number of times today.

I have also been having problems with the keyboard Case so probably for the best that it's being swapped. Still irritating to have to deal with, though.

Last edited:

BamShady

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
I'd like to remove the icon frames, but under Display it's greyed out. So is Home screen. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Google is usually my friend but not in this case. I can't find an easy/standard setting, I don't have any themes applied and enabling Developer Options doesn't help.

Go to Settings > Apps > Three dots in top corner > Default Apps > Homescreen

Touchwiz launcher will not have the button ticked. Tick the button, press home to return to the home screen.

The options will then be enabled again and you will be able to change to Icons without frame

:cool:

gokhanyigit

May 18, 2017
Visit site

Touchwiz launcher will not have the button ticked. Tick the button, press home to return to the home screen.

The options will then be enabled again and you will be able to change to Icons without frame

Thank you. This solution worked for me. Actually this problem occured after installed and set default Google Launcher in Play Store. System is not make default Touch Wiz again after uninstall Google Launcher.

zeroride21

Jun 14, 2017
Visit site

Just go to Settings, Apps, top right menu, show system apps, scroll to Touch Wiz, force stop, scroll down click home and select touch wiz, no longer greyed out.

pjniez

May 5, 2010
Visit site

Thank you!!! This worked for me!

MrKenD

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
If Icon Frames still greyed out after you turn TouchWiz back on. Change the Theme back to the default. Some themes disable the Icon Frames.

Ooper3076

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
Mine were also grayed out. So after doing some process of elimination, I found the answer. It has nothing to do with themes or what launchers you have installed. It depends on whether you have Easy Mode enabled or disabled. When I turned Easy Mode on, they were no longer grayed & was able to change it to Icons Only. Then I disabled Easy Mode and they both were grayed out again. This may not be the only answer or the right one. But I could toggle the Easy Mode off & on and watch the Icon Frames option be available then not.

NAHCOS

May 29, 2015
Visit site

There are two conditions that must be met in order to be able to change the option:
1. You must be in TouchWiz launcher AND,
2. You must use the stock (Samsung) theme. Keep in mind that some custom themes were designed to use icons frame by default - not much you can do about those. In other words, as soon as you revert to those themes, you'll get the frames back, no matter what. Just pick up another one...

CheriePie

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Thanks so much! This was driving me CRAZY, and I tried everything else I could think of but didn't think of this.

I'm using an app called DriveMode which sets itself as the default Home Screen app. Because it only takes over the home button while it's actually running, and I'm still officially using TouchWiz underneath it all, I didn't even consider this when I was tearing everything else apart trying to figure out why I couldn't change my icon borders or my home screen grid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12