Transitioning from Nexus 7 to S3

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure I'm not the only one making this transition. My LTE Nexus 7 gasped its last breath, and there was no viable replacement of the same size. The N7 was a perfect size. This thing is huge!

June 22, 2017 at 1119AM copy.jpg

Other observations:
  • The Back button is in the wrong spot :)
  • I tried using the Google Now launcher but it won't let me access the left screen with news and upcoming events. I really don't like the deafult launcher
  • I've noticed that some apps don't fit the screen properly. I installed one of the Bejeweled apps and the top of the display is cut off on the S3.
  • The screen is beautiful, although some colors seem inaccurate

Has anyone else made this transition? I waited a long time for an N7 replacement. It's been rumored, but never appeared.

Quikstep

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
I transitioned from the Nexus 9 to Tab S3, and the back button is the most annoying thing to me. I also generally preferred the on-screen buttons so that it's the same whether you're in portrait or landscape.

Can't deny that the fit and finish on the S3 is definitely better than on the Nexus tablets, though, and the screen is truly beautiful.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The other nitpicky thing for me is that when I'm reading in bed, the navigation keys light up every time I turn the page. I also find it odd that there isn't a light around the Home key. If it's dark I need to feel for it.

doxidad

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I went from a Nexu7 to a Tab A and then to an S3. Didn't have much of a problem other than the way Samsung does things. Took little time but I'm happy. If I go back to the Nexus I have problems figuring out how things work again.
:)

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I transitioned from the Nexus 9 to Tab S3, and the back button is the most annoying thing to me. I also generally preferred the on-screen buttons so that it's the same whether you're in portrait or landscape.

Can't deny that the fit and finish on the S3 is definitely better than on the Nexus tablets, though, and the screen is truly beautiful.

Same. I had a N9 and this is one of the things that drive me crazy about the tablet. Also, I'm used to tapping on the screen to wake it (N9) and for the longest, I had to remind myself this tablet doesn't have that functionality.

J

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm also from Nexus 9 to Tab S3, glad to get rid of the crappy lag machine Nexus 9.

Just a bit disappointed Samsung did not put the most updated technology (like latest processor, on screen home button, smaller bezel) on the tablet for the premium price.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm also from Nexus 9 to Tab S3, glad to get rid of the crappy lag machine Nexus 9.

Just a bit disappointed Samsung did not put the most updated technology (like latest processor, on screen home button, smaller bezel) on the tablet for the premium price.

It did have the latest tech at launch. The only thing better than the SD 820 was the 821 at the time and few devices got that, SD 835 wasn't available yet. Samsung actually went from on screen buttons to physical, neither is the newest tech, it's preference. And you NEED a bezel to hold a tablet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37