Tab S3 400gb microsdsd card?

p1r473

Nov 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,
I have a massive comic collection, and my old Ipad 2 (64gb) needs to be replaced.
I don't want to dish out $1000+ for the 512 GB Ipad, so I am hoping I will be able to use a 400GB sd card into the Tab S3. (And buy it for black Friday)

All documentation I can find shows it only goes up to 256GB.
1. Has anyone tried it with a 400GB SD Card? If not, can any Android tablet use the 512GB sd card?
2. Also, will apps be able to read from comics from the SD card and internal memory, and flip between the 2, all with no problems, behind the scenes? Or must I keep changing the app between SD card and internal memory to find files?

According to an android authority link,
it says "When it comes to handsets you may have noticed that some OEMs will says something like this, “expandable storage via microSD card up to 32GB.” what that probably means is that device has a SDHC compatible card reader. Technically any Android device which supports SDXC could advertise “expandable storage via microSD card up to 2TB.” But because 2TB microSD cards don’t exist (yet), most OEMs will say something like “expandable storage via microSD card up to 128GB” where the “128GB” bit could be a different capacity depending on when the device was released and what is the highest current microSD capacity that is commercially available."

edit: changed 512gb to 400gb (the 400gb on amazon is microsd, the 500gb is sd... Id only be able to use the 400)

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tab S3 512gb sd card?

Moved from the Galaxy Tab 10-inch forum (which was for the original Galaxy Tab) to the Tab S3 forum.

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
it says "When it comes to handsets you may have noticed that some OEMs will says something like this, “expandable storage via microSD card up to 32GB.” what that probably means is that device has a SDHC compatible card reader. Technically any Android device which supports SDXC could advertise “expandable storage via microSD card up to 2TB.” But because 2TB microSD cards don’t exist (yet), most OEMs will say something like “expandable storage via microSD card up to 128GB” where the “128GB” bit could be a different capacity depending on when the device was released and what is the highest current microSD capacity that is commercially available."

edit: changed 512gb to 400gb (the 400gb on amazon is microsd, the 500gb is sd... Id only be able to use the 400)

While I haven't used the s3 or the 400GB card specifically, I have used devices with cards far larger than they advertised as compatible.
Your quote explains the situation perfectly.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
I have a massive comic collection, and my old Ipad 2 (64gb) needs to be replaced.
I don't want to dish out $1000+ for the 512 GB Ipad, so I am hoping I will be able to use a 400GB sd card into the Tab S3. (And buy it for black Friday)

All documentation I can find shows it only goes up to 256GB.
1. Has anyone tried it with a 400GB SD Card? If not, can any Android tablet use the 512GB sd card?
2. Also, will apps be able to read from comics from the SD card and internal memory, and flip between the 2, all with no problems, behind the scenes? Or must I keep changing the app between SD card and internal memory to find files?

Short answer. Yes it will recognize SanDisk's 400GB microSD card.

Long answer. The Tab S3 (as well as most phones and tablets made in the past two years) supports microSD cards up to 2TB. I'm currently using a Samsung 256GB microSD card with no worries in my Tab S2.

Just be advised that right now only SanDisk makes anything larger than 256GB. Although I expect 512GB microSD cards in the next year or so.

Kizznyc

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
That's seems unlikely.
Why do you think that?

Because I know coz we tested it. Have you seen a 1 Tb micro SD card? It looks the same and it's very very slow! Thats due to the manufacturing process.

Also why do you think LG has stuck with 4gb ram but support 2 TB micro SD but not Samsung it's the same thing as Dolby Vision... They don't got the license

This is because ufs 2.1 is newer but is more isolation based. You'd think that Samsung could easily make the note 8 cross 500 GB on storage but no there is a huge loss with that performance but SD cards are excellent in read write on the note.

LG v30 though has a ufs 2.0 and thus it's slower but think if it this way and OnePlus just flat out refused to add a just coz they know the flagship performance is degraded by inserting higher storage SD cards this tarnishing their image but Samsung need not worry what with its name and loyalists and s pen and that display and what not extra junk including that stupid Bixby and good dex

SanDisk is making SD cards but there are different types the top quality cards don't support 256 and some even struggle 128 by far the best performer you can get is a 64 GB one. what you'd consider flagship right

Now go for the same 256 GB it's not quite up to the mark

So mister, get it now?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Because I know coz we tested it. Have you seen a 1 Tb micro SD card? It looks the same and it's very very slow! Thats due to the manufacturing process.

Also why do you think LG has stuck with 4gb ram but support 2 TB micro SD but not Samsung it's the same thing as Dolby Vision... They don't got the license

This is because ufs 2.1 is newer but is more isolation based. You'd think that Samsung could easily make the note 8 cross 500 GB on storage but no there is a huge loss with that performance but SD cards are excellent in read write on the note.

LG v30 though has a ufs 2.0 and thus it's slower but think if it this way and OnePlus just flat out refused to add a just coz they know the flagship performance is degraded by inserting higher storage SD cards this tarnishing their image but Samsung need not worry what with its name and loyalists and s pen and that display and what not extra junk including that stupid Bixby and good dex

SanDisk is making SD cards but there are different types the top quality cards don't support 256 and some even struggle 128 by far the best performer you can get is a 64 GB one. what you'd consider flagship right

Now go for the same 256 GB it's not quite up to the mark

So mister, get it now?

Where to start with this...

1st, As of right now, there are no LEGITIMATE 1TB or larger microSD cards. The largest you can buy is SanDisk's 400GB microSD card which cost about $288 on Amazon.

2nd, The Tab S3 supports up to 2TB microSD cards. Most modern phones, tablets, and hybrids support up to 2TB.

If you found a 1TB microSD card it is probably a counterfeit. Especially, if it cost less than a legitimate 64GB.

Update : Since I posted this, there is a legitimate 512GB microSD card.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...12gb-microsd-card-largest-ever-memory-storage

Last edited:

danielwhite1914

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
I have used a 512GB SDcard on my Galaxy S2, and though it works and is recognised by the system, it nevertheless has flaws. Sometimes I have downloaded files onto it for them to be corrupted, and often it asks for reformat. I have gone back to using my 64GB SDcard and using the 512GB SDcard on my desktop where it works perfectly!

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma