Chrome "not responding"

Air pirate

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
When linking from an app or gmail to the chrome browser, there is a long delay until chrome is loaded and responds. Any attempt to maneuver in the browser before a minute or two results in the "Chrome is not responding" pop up. If Chrome is already open in the background, no delay.

Anyone seeing this issue?

Android 7.0
Aug 1 security patch
Action Launcher

Air pirate

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Have you already tried clearing Chrome's app cache and data in the App Manager?
Thanks for the response. I did clear the cache, but it looks like it is an internet connectivity issue. I'm traveling and the hotel Wi-Fi seems to be the cause of the delay in Chrome. Just logged in at a different hotel and the browser fires right up.

Clehmann1e

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
Am getting Chrome not responding, wait or close. Cannot get to app settings to clear cache & data. Also, if clear data will I lose bookmarks? Thks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which device? What do you mean that you can't get to the app settings? It doesn't work if you swipe down the notification panel, tap the gear icon, then go to Settings>Apps?

Clearing data will probably clear out any locally saved bookmarks, but if you have bookmarks saved in Chrome on your desktop/laptop, those will automatically sync back to your mobile Chrome.

Air pirate

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
When linking from an app or gmail to the chrome browser, there is a long delay until chrome is loaded and responds. Any attempt to maneuver in the browser before a minute or two results in the "Chrome is not responding" pop up. If Chrome is already open in the background, no delay.

Anyone seeing this issue?

Android 7.0
Aug 1 security patch
Action Launcher
We'll, I thought the problem was solved but it is back. Any link from Google Search or app to the Chrome browser takes a long, long, time. Screen inputs have no effect until the pop-up "Chrome is not responding...wait, etc" appears. I tap "wait" and the browser starts responding.

My Firefox browser runs fine, as does the Samsung browser.

Still wonder if any of you are seeing this problem.

HappyEngineer

Apr 9, 2018
Visit site
I also have this exact problem on my Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0.1.

Sometimes I'll be able to scroll down for a fraction of a second but then chrome stops accepting new input. When the input freezes, my finger's last location receives a 'long press' even if I'm no longer touching the screen. Chrome then sits inert until the entire page is finished loading, at which point it accepts a few queued taps (e.g. tapping elsewhere to close the long press menu) and then the "Chrome is not responding" system message pops up. On tapping "wait", I return to my now-normal Chrome page.

Only happens when linking in from other apps, most commonly the Google search widget. Very frustrating.

Air pirate

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I also have this exact problem on my Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0.1.

Sometimes I'll be able to scroll down for a fraction of a second but then chrome stops accepting new input. When the input freezes, my finger's last location receives a 'long press' even if I'm no longer touching the screen. Chrome then sits inert until the entire page is finished loading, at which point it accepts a few queued taps (e.g. tapping elsewhere to close the long press menu) and then the "Chrome is not responding" system message pops up. On tapping "wait", I return to my now-normal Chrome page.

Only happens when linking in from other apps, most commonly the Google search widget. Very frustrating.
That's exactly what is happening. I tried uninstalling Chrome, and it fixed the problem but only for one or two iterations. Then, back to the same delay every time Chrome is activated, whether from Google "Search" or from an app.

Samjanzg

Apr 26, 2018
Visit site
This now happening to my brand new Samsung Tab S3

After updating from stock Chrome on Samsung TAB S3, when first opening chrome with 0 tabs open it stalls and stops responding for 30sec. Stopped responding message comes up and if you press WAIT option it works after that.
If tabs are open from a session before and app is started there are no issues.

If i delete Chrome updates from PlayStore and revert to stock, all is working fine. This is drywing me crazy!
Tried factory reset... it remains the same.
As soon as its updated, no other apps installed except stock, it starts behaving like this...

Air pirate

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I use Dev build on mine. No issue and I do use Gmail with open in Dev browser.

Google News has been another matter.
I'm using the Dev browser but still experience a long delay loading any web page. Since you aren't seeing this problem, I must have an app that is causing a problem. Weird, cause Firefox and the Samsung browser run fine.

twinkletoes45

Jan 1, 2019
Visit site
Did this problem get resolved? I have the exact same issue. Thought it was my old tablet but after upgrading to a s4 it's doing exactly the same thing. Please help!

Air pirate

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
This problem has not been resolved. If I am in gmail or any app or in Google's search, and I select a link to a site via the Chrome browser, I get a long delay before Chrome is responsive. I always get the pop up "Chrome is not responding...Wait? Exit?". This delay can last from 15 seconds to as much as 45 seconds. This does not occur using Firefox or the native Samsung browser.

Wish I could offer a solution to you, but I am still frustrated by this issue. Yes, I can use another browser, but I'm happy with the Google environment.

The one thing I haven't tried is a full factory reset, and I'm reluctant to do that and start over with my S3. That's a shame that you see the problem with the S4. Was hoping it might be better. My best guess is that something in the Samsung OS is causing the Chrome delay.

nikkilocke

Jan 20, 2019
Visit site
It's not a Samsung thing. I get the same problem on a Google Nexus 10 tablet and a Nokia 5 phone.

I think it is bloat in recent versions of Chrome.

Air pirate

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It's not a Samsung thing. I get the same problem on a Google Nexus 10 tablet and a Nokia 5 phone.

I think it is bloat in recent versions of Chrome.
You are probably right, since there are no issues with the native browser or Firefox. I never had the issue with the Nexus 10, but that was a long time ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge