Cast/mirror S3 tablet

Silvercity

Oct 8, 2018
Visit site
Last month I bought a Samsung S3 tablet and recently wanted to connect it to a tv in a wifi and no wifi area.

So I bought a type c to hdmi adapter online only to return it because it did not work. It was only then that I found out (from the store) that you can't connect to a tv via any adapter. Had I known this I would have bought another tablet since I want to be able to connect to our tv at the country home where there is no wifi.

Again last night, I tried a few times to connect to my chromecast at home (with wifi) and it was not working. I googled it thinking that I was doing something wrong but to my surprise I read you can't even do that. Seriously Samsung!! I made the jump from apple thinking it would be better but now I am starting to regret it.

Is there any other way I can connect to a tv either in wifi or no wifi?

Thx for the suggestions.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
While MHL support (USB to HDMI) was removed from the S3, I had no issues mirroring to Chromecast or a Samsung TV directly, even a Roku. Are you using the Home app to mirror the screen (only way the Chromecast would show up)

Can you 'cast' from other apps (not mirroring) like YouTube or Netflix? Or you don't see the cast icon there either?

Silvercity

Oct 8, 2018
Visit site
I tried from the home app and I got a message about the device not optimized for this or something like that..I don't remember the exact message...but it would try to connect and then it disconnected right away. I see the chromecast icon in Netflix but when I try it it automatically disconnects. Maybe I will try resetting the chromecast. Or I will get a roku if you think it will work.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Try resetting the Chromecast. The mirroring feature will always give the warning unless you have a Pixel (they claim it's a beta feature). And try casting first.

Silvercity

Oct 8, 2018
Visit site
Try resetting the Chromecast. The mirroring feature will always give the warning unless you have a Pixel (they claim it's a beta feature). And try casting first.

Thank you for your help. I reset the chromecast and casting works. When I use Netflix or other apps it casts perfectly, however, if I try to cast a show I downloaded it is very choppy. I tried VLC and some other video players. Is this normal or is it the quality of the show?

Also, I am new to android and I never had any virus protection on my apple products. Do I need to install a virus software program (like mcafee) on android. What do you suggest I do for protection?

Thanks again.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Might be your router. When casting directly, the Chromecast does the heavy lifting and downloads/streams the content. When mirroring, however, the phone has to 'convert' the display signal on top of downloading it if you're watching an online video, then send that to your router (which is already taxed with downloading the content, if any), then the router sends that to the Chromecast for display. If your router is, for some reason, not enough or the signal to your phone isn't strong enough or there's noise, the video will be choppy. If the video's compression is heavy and the phone is doing other processes, converting that video into the mirroring data signal can also be choppy because your phone might not be able to keep up.

If you can, try mirroring from a computer. If the video is choppy there, too, then chances are your router is the one that's causing the bottleneck.

As for antivirus, you really don't need them unless you're downloading/installing apps from not-so-trusted sources. If you keep to apps downloaded from the Samsung and Google stores, you should be fine (just read the reviews of generic-looking apps... some devs love to include intrusive ads with their cheapo knock offs).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude