Tab S3 Not Recognizing All of the Files on External HDD

Eldamar

Feb 22, 2019
Visit site
Hey folks,

I have the 9.7 tab S3. I got it to watch movies and TV shows with. Unfortunately, my tablet isn't allowing me to watch newer movie and TV show files that I put onto my Seagate external hard-drive that I use to store all of my media.

My external hard drive is formatted for ex-FAT so I don't understand why new files aren't being recognized. For example, when I plug the HDD into the tablet, it couldn't find my downloaded copy of Venom. BUT. I plugged the tablet into my PC and manually moved Venom from my HDD to the tablet and I can view the file just fine.

I use an Insignia 3-in-one converter so that I can plug the USB HDD into the tab s3's USB-C port.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you see other files from the HDD when connected to the tablet? Are all the files in the same folder? Are you certain they're not set to Do Not Show or Hidden File? Have you used another File Manager app other than the stock one (if that's what you're using...if you're trying to find directly from the app or Gallery, try the file manager instead)?

Eldamar

Feb 22, 2019
Visit site
  1. I can see other files from the HDD. There are select files that I can't see in the default file browser.
  2. There are 2 folders on my HDD, 1 for movies and 1 for TV shows.
  3. I double checked and the files are not set to be hidden
  4. I downloaded File Manager off the app store. I actually prefer it to the default file browser. It alteast shows the files whereas the default doesn't at all. In File Manager it shows the files but when I try to open them I get "Open File Failed". It also says the files are 0B.

Thanks for your response.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If the 3rd party File Manager has no issues seeing the files it might be a cache issue with the stock one (since your problem seems to be with newer files). If you reboot the device and try to get it to re-populate the file list, maybe that'll work.

Eldamar

Feb 22, 2019
Visit site
I tried wiping the cache partition and the issue persists. Is that what you had in mind with trying to allow it to re-home late?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I hoped would help. So, I think I missed that part before...even with the 3rd party file manager you can't open the files?

Eldamar

Feb 22, 2019
Visit site
So I created another folder on my external HDD and my tablet isn't recognizing the new folder. There are files larger than 4GB but there are some that aren't that I'm still having troubles with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34