Having thermal throttling issues? Linus Tech Tips has a possible solution...

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
So a while back I bragged on the General News and Discussion subforum about my experimental raft pump based cooling for the Tab S3. I pretty much gave up since it didn't help too much. and was so noisy that it could possibly disrupt my neighbors. Now that the summer heat has rolled around, my tablet thermal throttles more and has hit record CPU temperatures (spiked once to 90C during gaming), and pretty much always runs in the high 80s when heavily used. Well, I think this latest video from Linus Tech Tips shows exactly how we could fix that (he used the S10, but the same goes for tablets). Only problem is that his solution is a total no-go for devices like our tablets that are not waterproof since there is always a possibility of leakage in the cooling loop... Anyways, it is a cool concept so here is a link to the video:

Maybe someone will take inspiration from this video and hopefully make a commercially-available watercooling case for the tab S3 :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just watched the video. Not surprised that Linus did this...this is kinda his thing to do.

Something that doesn't help the whole scenario is that glass is an insulator. When we had phones that were plastic, or metal, at least the back of the phone acted like a heatsink. With glass, that heat dissipation doesn't happen as much.

I wouldn't say that the leaks are a concern...all the fail points were away from the phone. It's the adding bulk both in weight and extensions that would make someone less likely to use this.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Just watched the video. Not surprised that Linus did this...this is kinda his thing to do.

Something that doesn't help the whole scenario is that glass is an insulator. When we had phones that were plastic, or metal, at least the back of the phone acted like a heatsink. With glass, that heat dissipation doesn't happen as much.

I wouldn't say that the leaks are a concern...all the fail points were away from the phone. It's the adding bulk both in weight and extensions that would make someone less likely to use this.
Yeah. I personally think that the heat situation on these Samsung devices that don't have a cooling system inside is exactly what you said, the GLASS back. I know it feels premium, but it keeps heat in AND forces you to have a protective case on your device which additionally insulates heat. Result of this? After playing Rush Rally 3 for a while, my tablet hits the aforementioned dangerously hot CPU temps and the volume buttons get hot. And Samsung doesn't give a damn because they literally have guaranteed sale of tablets since they are still a superb compared to all other Android tablets. For non-gaming (or old/lightweight gaming) usage, the tablet doesn't run very warm and performs to it's fullest for the most time. Good thing I'm not too big on games in general..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech