Tablet updated - now I can't access it

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey y'all!
I hadn't used my S3 tablet for a while and last night< i went to use it. It had a software update and immediately after it rebooted, it asked for the power up password. No problem...entered that. After the OS loaded, it asked for another password, which I THOUGHT I remembered...but alas, I don't.

I tried every one of the passwords I could think of and none of them are working. I'm guessing the only way to get back into my tablet is to hard reset it?? One problem is also that i tried to power it off last night and it's asking for the password before it powers off!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Bruce

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Android Device Manager. Samsung's device manager (through your Samsung account) will also allow you to reset all the biometrics and PIN as long as the device is signed in to a Samsung account for which you know the login info.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I just looked around the Samsung Support site and didn't see that option...for Device Manager. Could you direct me to where this is? A link would be really helpful if possible.

I appreciate everyone's assistance. This is frustrating that I can't even get into my tablet to turn it off and come back with a wipe. I'm sure it'll run out of battery soon, but if i could keep from wiping it, it sure would be nice!

Android Device Manager. Samsung's device manager (through your Samsung account) will also allow you to reset all the biometrics and PIN as long as the device is signed in to a Samsung account for which you know the login info.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I did find that page, but I'm not seeing the Device Manager. I apologize if I'm being blind and just not seeing it.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Go to Services then scroll down to Find My Mobile. It may give you a button to sign in, click that, you'll then get the screen for locating. Click unlock and you get the option to reset biometrics, PIN, pattern and password.

brucedbr

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
THANK YOU! I didn't expect that to be under Find My Mobile.

This didn't help as much as I had hoped, but it will at least allow me to reset my tablet. It says Remote Unlock is off. Guess I didn't think to set that up. Lesson learned and i will do that on my phone right now.

If I'm missing something...and I still should be able to get into it, please let me know. But it seems like I'm partially screwed anyway.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just in case there's a 3rd party app trying to ask for a password, see if this happens in Safe Mode as well: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-t820-galaxy-tab-s3/safe-mode/

FYI, Google's Android Device Manager is now called Find My Device -- but it's never allowed a user to remotely change a password. All you can do is create a password for a device that didn't have any screen lock set in the first place. If you try creating a password for a device that already has a screen lock set, it tells you that it's not necessary, since the device is already locked.:-\