Any way to connect an external hard drive so i can transfer files to the S4 and vice versa?

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
i try with a usb male to usb c adapter but it seems only able to connect to a computer as it requires me to enter a nmber in the computer's browser. is there a way to do this?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Your original post makes no sense to me. You're trying to connect a hard drive to your tablet but it requires you to enter a number on a computers browser?

I don't have a tab S4, but every Android device I've used since 2012 has been plug and play with external storage. All I've ever had to do was grab a micro usb OTG cable and plug my hard drives or flash drives right in and it was recognized.

It's possible the hard drive is formatted in a format Android cannot recognize, NTFS would be one such format. It's also possible the hard drive isn't getting enough power.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Your original post makes no sense to me. You're trying to connect a hard drive to your tablet but it requires you to enter a number on a computers browser?

I don't have a tab S4, but every Android device I've used since 2012 has been plug and play with external storage. All I've ever had to do was grab a micro usb OTG cable and plug my hard drives or flash drives right in and it was recognized.

It's possible the hard drive is formatted in a format Android cannot recognize, NTFS would be one such format. It's also possible the hard drive isn't getting enough power.

It says "Please follow the instructions below to access the device storage from PC: Enter the above address [ftp://...] in a web browser on PC... " i tried it on 2 external ssd's with usb to usbc conversion cable attached.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't think your phone is can provide enough power to the external drives, unless the drives themselves have their own power supply.

Have you tried a usb otg dongle?
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Adapte...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6351086

If not, the program wifi file explorer allows you to transfer files from a computer to your device over wifi. Works really well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dooblou.WiFiFileExplorer&hl=en_US

That dongle is exactly what I've been using. None of my external drives are powered. Trouble is i don't have a computer right now, just several android tablets and a phone.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Ok, so here is what I used to use on my first Android device after putting an NTFS enabled (NTFS.ko kernel module included) custom ROM on it, but haven't tested on my Tab S3 or any modern tablet. So basically, most external hard drives come with the USB cable that has 2 computer type USB (type A) plugs. Get a USB extension cord and use it to hook up the secondary type A connector of your HDD cable to a 5V/2A power brick (DO NOT USE A MODERN QUICK CHARGER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE). Plug in the hard drive to the type B connector on your cable. Then connect the cable via OTG adapter to your tablet. If it warns you that your drive is blank or that you need to format it, the you will need an appropriate kernel module for the file system your drive is using.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
"So basically, most external hard drives come with the USB cable that has 2 computer type USB (type A) plugs."

All 3 of my external hard drives have only only a single plug.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
Well, maybe newer drives come with the single one. Mine is 7 years old, so it is meant for older computers that couldn't supply enough juice through one port to spin up the drive. If you need such a cable, get it off Amazon for a buck or two. Otherwise just get a quality powered USB hub.

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a powered portable drive with a standard USB connector. If I use a USB to USB-C adapter will I be able to use this drive with my Tab S4? If not what will I need to access the drive via my tablet?

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I have a powered portable drive with a standard USB connector. If I use a USB to USB-C adapter will I be able to use this drive with my Tab S4? If not what will I need to access the drive via my tablet?

Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I have not been able to connect my (unpowered) external hard drives. I was only able to connect my USB flash drive.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
It must draw more than the usb can supply. It may be possible to connect a powered usb hub and then connect your drive to that but at today's prices, it would be better to get a portable drive with a power option and not mess with unpowered.

BullwinkleMoose

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
It must draw more than the usb can supply. It may be possible to connect a powered usb hub and then connect your drive to that but at today's prices, it would be better to get a portable drive with a power option and not mess with unpowered.

I have powered hubs and I can connect the external ssd hard drive to it ( my Tab 4 and Tab 2s get connected to powered hubs) but then the USB connecter will be connected to the powered hub and not tablet. Is there a way to connect it to both, like a splitter cable with two USB connections? Also, I'm not clear what the "IQ" slot on the powered hub I'm looking at now is for. Duh maybe it actually does something...

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
OK, using that OTG device I listed above I connected it to my Moto Z3 phone and to a non-powered portable HD. With no external power connected the HD light would come on but it would not be recognized by ES File Explorer on the Moto Z3. I then hooked up my charger to that OTG device and my phone started charging and it now recognized the disk and could read the files on it.

Seems like that is what you need.