No messaging app on my Galaxy Tab S4.

jwmeador88

Nov 30, 2018
Visit site
This is absolutely infuriating and I must rant a bit. If Samsung wants to compete with Apple and their iPad, wouldn't it be smart to optimize your messaging app to work over wifi; enabling users who purchased a Galaxy Tab S4--to support a growing company and encourage innovation--to use the stock messaging app on said device?! I cannot believe that I am forced to use a third party app to sync my messages from a Samsung Galaxy device (Galaxy Note 9). Apple users can use imessage on multiple devices and it does not skip a beat. Let me point out that I have been a Samsung user for many years now, and had multiple Samsung devices. I still do...The Note 9, the Gear S3 (which can send and receive messages via Samsung Messages), the Tab S4, a Samsung Smart TV with a Samsung sound bar. My wife has a Note 9 and the new Galaxy Watch! I do not like Apple! Neither of us do! But they have it right with imessage! Will Samsung ever create an ecosystem like Apple has? I know they were trying, but why--in 2018--can I not message someone from my Samsung tablet, using the stock messaging app over Wifi! I shouldn't need a sim card to send and receive messages from a Samsung device to a Samsung device. This is a first world problem, I shouldn't be as petty as I am being at the moment. But this really shouldn't be an issue. If anyone else is as frustrated as I am, this thread is for you...Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! iMessage is a proprietary Apple technology, and is not available for non-Apple devices. All other devices use SMS for texting, which requires telephony (i.e., it has to act like a phone). Even if the tablet has a SIM card, that usually doesn't mean it can send/receive SMS, because the SIM is intended for mobile data.

You can always use other messaging platforms to send messages (like WhatsApp, Telegram, Hangouts, etc.), but of course that requires the recipient to have Hangouts as well. Another potential workaround is Google Voice, which I believe allows you to send and receive texts using the Google Voice app over wi-fi (but this requires you to have a Google Voice number -- a really handy thing to have, if you've never looked into it).

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I recently purchased the Tab 3 from a Sprint Store and was told that I would be able to text message from this device. So far I can't figure this out. I tried sending a text from my phone to the number for the Tab 3 and got a return message that said "The recipient you are sending to has chosen not to receive messages. Msg 2111" Any help?
I have a Tab S4 through Sprint. It has its own "line" and can send and receive messages on its own phone number.

I also have a purchased app Mighty Text that I use during the work day - wish Ididn't have to pay for it, but it acts like IMessage or the Verizon Plus messages - where Ican send and receive texts from my Note 9 number, but on the tablet.

The tablet having its own number is handy - the other night my phone died - didn't have the cord handy while Iwas out. I had the tablet with me so I sent a message to my family and it worked great.

Last year I had a Samsung laptop and it had a built in Messages app - that as long as my phone was nearby, I could send/receive messages on the laptop with the phone's number. I don't see that for the tablet at this time.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You can use Samsung Flow. It connects to your phone so you can read and send messages from your phone through your tablet. And it's free.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Ok Iwill definitely check that out -thanks
I'll have to read up on this . I have it installed and the two devices connected, but I don't see how to send people on my contact list messages from the tablet as if i were on the phone. Also I sent myself a test messages to my cell number and it only showed on the phone, not the tablet.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to read up on this . I have it installed and the two devices connected, but I don't see how to send people on my contact list messages from the tablet as if i were on the phone. Also I sent myself a test messages to my cell number and it only showed on the phone, not the tablet.

It should show up in the Samsung Flow app. Open it on the tablet then there should be two tabs in the app, shared and notifications. All phone notifications will appear there and you can reply there.
Not sure if the SmartView button works on the S4 though. It's supposed to mirror your phone.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
It should show up in the Samsung Flow app. Open it on the tablet then there should be two tabs in the app, shared and notifications. All phone notifications will appear there and you can reply there.
Not sure if the SmartView button works on the S4 though. It's supposed to mirror your phone.
It doesnt work fully - cant be on the tablet and send a message to my contacts. I got on a chat window with Samsung and 2as arvised the app only works woth laptops and phones, not the Tablet.

Its not critical, just a nice thing. I did cancel the mighty text though. Although it worked it was expensive

jwmeador88

Nov 30, 2018
Visit site
You are a life saver. So far, so good. It's exactly what I was looking for. Samsung couldn't even suggest this for me. This is why I created this forum, for this reason exactly. Thank you for being a hero!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
one i found that works GREAT is Pulse app. This is a whopping 0.99 per month and as long as your phone is on with wifi, it will work on the tablet and you can easily send / receive messages on the Tab S4 as if from the Note 9. It's fantastic.

Love this Tab S4 by the way. I've only had mine about a week or so now - it
s been great. This and the Note 9 - quite the pairing.:)

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
one i found that works GREAT is Pulse app. This is a whopping 0.99 per month and as long as your phone is on with wifi, it will work on the tablet and you can easily send / receive messages on the Tab S4 as if from the Note 9. It's fantastic.

Love this Tab S4 by the way. I've only had mine about a week or so now - it
s been great. This and the Note 9 - quite the pairing.:)
Btw if you have other phones I'm sure it would work the same way

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
This has been my biggest grip with the tablet phone combo from Samsung. They do with there laptops quite while and dont see why they dont on the tablet. The o ly thing that would have made me get an Samsung chrome book over the s4.

uvarules

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Funny, I use Message + for my Verizon account on every non "phone" device I have and works perfectly. Text from tablets and laptops with no issues. Been doing it for a couple of years. All wifi. SMS/MMS just as if I was on my phone....

Maybe I'm missing something here from your original post, so I apologize if I did.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Funny, I use Message + for my Verizon account on every non "phone" device I have and works perfectly. Text from tablets and laptops with no issues. Been doing it for a couple of years. All wifi. SMS/MMS just as if I was on my phone....

Maybe I'm missing something here from your original post, so I apologize if I did.

I do as well but not everyone has Verizon as a carrier.

smooches680

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded the Go SMS Pro app from the play store and testing it out now and it works great! I have Sprint! Has a lot of features!

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
You might want to try Mighty Text. I've used it for a couple of years on my Chromebook so that I could send/receive texts without needing to pick up my phone. It works flawlessly and doesn't require you to stop using your favorite texting app on your phone (I use Textra). Your text conversations still show up on your phone as if you were using it directly.

I just purchased a Tab S4 the other day and so far, Mighty Text works as smoothly as it did on my Chromebook. It's free but does have some paid features that can be unlocked, though I haven't felt the need to buy them and I've been using the app for at least 2 years now. Give it a try.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mightytext.tablet

Angus66

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

I know this is an old thread but could you explain further?

I'm on Verizon and cant get it to work - I do have an LTE S4 though so I don't have the wi-fi calling option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan