DeX vs normal Android

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
For those who use this tablet with a keyboard or the Samsung keyboard case, do you usually use DeX, or do you stick with default Android? What is DeX really optimal for, doing spreadsheets and documents with YouTube droning on in the background?

I'm trying to get along with DeX; even bought myself a bluetooth mouse to make navigation a bit easier, which it does. But there's just so much about it that's a bit... incongruous, perhaps? Many apps don't function properly in it (such as not being able to choose popup reactions in the Facebook app), and some won't open at all, such as my password keeper.

Overall, I think DeX is an interesting experiment and it definintely excels at allowing you to have multiple windows open, but it's definitely not ready for primetime.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm still waiting for my Tab but researching it a bit, I came across this Samsung page which lists all the apps that work with DeX...I assume that this means that Samsung tested them for use in DeX. Perhaps sticking with these would provide a better experience.

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/samsung-dex/

For myself, I plan to play with DeX but I'm really buying the Tab S4 for the Android experience and have a Galaxy Book for when I need a desktop.

SDTRMG

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I pretty much use my tablet in DeX 90% of the time, unless playing certain games etc...
Some apps wont play nice because most aren't optimized to be running in a desktop like environment unfortunately.

The biggest thing for me, was too understand when using DeX, is although it's providing a desktop experience it is not a desktop and can only do what android is limited too for the most part.

Once I stopped pc/mac comparisons, and purchased the OEM keyboard of course, its become quite the media/productivity device for my daily uses.