Awesome information. Thanks a lot. I am moving from iPad 9.7 inch 2018 to Tab S4. The only worry I have moving from iPad is the battery life, but all the reviews (Amazon) about battery life were great. I am also looking for desktop mode which can help me with my office work (which iPad cannot absolutely) and hope DeX mode will be helpful.
    Battery life has been amazing... several days on a charge.
    03-15-2019 08:30 AM
    Am really excited to receive my Tab S4 tomorrow. I too ordered keyboard with it. I started with note 2 and never could stay with any other phone without Spen for more than 24 hours. I am sure multitasking (split screen)is also far better experience on Tab s4 than iPad.
    Ordered mine last night, can't wait to get it tomorrow!
    ClintRo likes this.
    03-15-2019 10:01 AM
    Finally received mine and set it up yesterday. Great experience compared to iPad. It is very smooth at handling stuff. Few things am missing.
    1. Edge panel (spoiled by my note 8) to launch apps without going to home and select the apps to launch.
    2. Themes
    3. When logging in to apps using samsung pass, I have to turn the tablet to portrait mode to scan my iris. This is annoying with keyboard cover on. I hope this will be fixed in pie. FPS should have solved this issue.

Other than the above, am really impressed with screen and animations. I will report back on battery life and others very soon.
    03-16-2019 10:37 AM
    Agree completely on the Edge Panel. For the first couple of days I kept trying to pull it out only to be sadly reminded that it isn't a feature on this tablet.

Also agree about Iris detection when in landscape mode. It's very awkward and even when I get my eyes line up, it still doesn't work most of the time. I've simply resigned myself to keying in my pin code when prompted. It's much easier since I keep the tablet docked on the keyboard most of the time.
    03-16-2019 08:13 PM
    Finally received mine and set it up yesterday. Great experience compared to iPad. It is very smooth at handling stuff. Few things am missing.
    1. Edge panel (spoiled by my note 8) to launch apps without going to home and select the apps to launch.
    2. Themes
    3. When logging in to apps using samsung pass, I have to turn the tablet to portrait mode to scan my iris. This is annoying with keyboard cover on. I hope this will be fixed in pie. FPS should have solved this issue.

Other than the above, am really impressed with screen and animations. I will report back on battery life and others very soon.
    Agree with 2 and 3, miss the themes and don't like having to rotate to portrait for iris sensor when intelligent scan works in landscape.
    03-16-2019 11:40 PM
    Agree completely on the Edge Panel. For the first couple of days I kept trying to pull it out only to be sadly reminded that it isn't a feature on this tablet.

Also agree about Iris detection when in landscape mode. It's very awkward and even when I get my eyes line up, it still doesn't work most of the time. I've simply resigned myself to keying in my pin code when prompted. It's much easier since I keep the tablet docked on the keyboard most of the time.
    I never liked the edge panel so no problem there. My iris sensor works very good as long as I lift up my glasses.
    03-16-2019 11:41 PM
    I never liked the edge panel so no problem there. My iris sensor works very good as long as I lift up my glasses.
    I can live without it, but I use it on my phone for 3 primary functions. That is where I've placed my Secure Folder. I've hidden that app in my app drawer but placed it in the edge panel for quick access. That's also where I access phone settings and device maintenance. It's just a matter of getting used to accessing those features in a different way on the tablet. I've had my Note 8 set up that way since day 1, so that's been my routine for 1.5 years. Old habits die hard. lol.

The iris scanner/facial recognition thing is weird.

When I restart my tablet or go to access my secure folder, unlocking with the camera isn't efficient. But once I do that initial log in, I the facial recognition is super quick to recognize me and unlock the tablet once I wake the screen. Since I usually only restart my devices once a week at most, this shouldn't be much of an issue, but I hope it is improved in future updates.
    03-17-2019 11:53 AM
    I was about to buy another Tab S4 had it not been found by United so I certainly think it is still worth buying.

As for the edge, how about using one of the many side-bar launchers available on the play store. I've never used Samsung's edge but I use an app on my pbone which will display my shortcuts with the flick of the edge.
    03-17-2019 08:53 PM
    Picked up a Tab S4 two days ago at Verizon and so far... it was TOTALLY worth it!!! Got the 64GB Black version with a Speck folio case to go with it. So far battery life has been phenomenal and overall performance is incredible!!!

I upgraded from the ZenPad Z8 also on Verizon. I also have an 11" IPad Pro 2018. I'm surprised to be able to say this but, I think I'm actually finding the Tab S4 to be the better tablet overall. Surprised because the iPad costed roughly 300 dollars more... but battery life on the S4 is leaving my Pro in the dust and the S4 is LTE while the Pro is WiFi! Shouldn't that mean the Pro would have better battery life? Well, not the case!!

No complaints in the performance department either.. this thing flys!!! I also got a Note 9 about a month ago and love that too... was upgrading from the S8+...

In terms of the S4 though, haven't had a chance yet to even try the SPen or DeX but will definitely try SPen soon... DeX: I don't even know if I'm interested in that... for me, this tablet is mainly for media consumption purposes be it ebooks, web, Netflix, prime video, Google play movies and TV, and other various simple tasks such as email, calendar and so on...

Anyway... I've rambled on for long enough... bottom line, so far I'm loving the Tab S4. Highly recommended!!!

cwbcpa and Brew Swayne like this.
    03-18-2019 07:06 AM
    In terms of the S4 though, haven't had a chance yet to even try the SPen or DeX but will definitely try SPen soon... DeX: I don't even know if I'm interested in that... for me, this tablet is mainly for media consumption purposes be it ebooks, web, Netflix, prime video, Google play movies and TV, and other various simple tasks such as email, calendar and so on...
    If that's going to be your primary use for it, you definitely won't have a good DeX experience with any of those apps except maybe your email and calendar apps.

From what I've seen so far, every app I've got that isn't business/productivity-centric doesn't display properly in DeX mode. Email/Calendar/Chrome/MS Office/Drive/etc apps have all been optimized for DeX.

Games, Netflix, Social Media, and other entertainment type apps are better off in Android mode.
    quadtronix likes this.
    03-18-2019 09:23 AM
    I ordered an universal doc to see how it works on a larger display. I will check back in with you guys and let you know how it goes.
    ROE_HUNTER likes this.
    03-18-2019 09:52 AM
    So it's on Sale at Best Buy for $549. I also have $100 student discount coupon to bring it down to $449. I plan on trading in an older ipad air 2 for $100 we don't use anymore. Now i'm at $349. I gotta assume this is a much better buy than the S5e for $299 after $100 trade in? I basically have to decide in the next 2 days. So is the S4 a no brainer with this in mind? I'm going to be doing 95% standard web browsing, you tube ect.
    03-18-2019 03:13 PM
    If you are not going to do any inking or heavy processing... I would get the S5e. Hands down. Fingerprint scanner Thinner and lighter with less bezels... and only using for Web/YouTube the lower processor will be fine plus that will help the battery last longer.

But for only $50 more.... you get the 835 plus Inking.
    03-18-2019 03:34 PM
    Thanks. That was more or less what i was thinking. I think i will wait for the S5e. For my usage it will be enough. I have a Note 9 now and i don't use the pen much so i doubt i will become an artist anytime soon lol.
    03-18-2019 04:41 PM
    Of course thinner means less space for battery so you might not actually gain anything in that department. That being said if you can wait, then the S4 will still be around when the S5e hits the streets so you can watch for the reviews.

Also, consider the 256g version, orders of magnitude faster than external storage and worth every penny even with the external card slot.
    03-18-2019 05:25 PM
    Thanks everyone. What make it more urgent of a decision was the expiration of the extra $100 off coupon. Sounds like S5e it is i think lol.
    03-18-2019 05:49 PM
    Lasted approximately 3 and half days with 8 hour screen time. Am impressed.
    quadtronix likes this.
    03-19-2019 09:55 AM
    Yea... on weekdays I can don't really run the battery down. On the weekend I can, but not weekdays. LOL
    03-19-2019 09:57 AM
    Got mine today. So far so good. Decided to get it with the great discounts i was sitting on. I didn't get much time on it yet because i had to work but i must say using smart switch with my Note 9 using wifi direct was awesome. Everything set up in 20 minutes. Got the regular book cover which so far i really like. We will see how the otterbox is bulk wise when i receive it. Got it free otherwise wow $90 is high.
    ClintRo, cwbcpa and Notefan161 like this.
    03-19-2019 03:40 PM
    Got mine today. So far so good. Decided to get it with the great discounts i was sitting on. I didn't get much time on it yet because i had to work but i mist say using smart switch with my Note 9 using wifi direct was awesome. Everything set up in 20 minutes. Got the regular book cover which so far i really like. We will see how the otterbox is bulk wise when i receive it. Got it free otherwise wow $90 is high.
    I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this as well. $400 at best buy after all discounts and credits. I have not had a tablet since the iPad 3 however long ago that was.

I'm wondering how well the Tab S4 would complement my Note 9 for reading, surfing and TV/ movies.
    03-19-2019 04:27 PM
    Based on my limited testing thus far pretty much what you will read. Reading and web surfing is great but the sizing is better and a bit more practical on the ipad. As far as video and movies this beats the ipad hands down. We have youtube tv and it's stunning on this. I also like being able to have a semi windows experience by having a file system i can access and downloading stuff. I don't think it's worth $649 at all but to me no tablet is but anything $500 and below is worth it. So far i am really happy with it. No lag, stuttering or signs of struggle for me at all. Pie update should be out in April which should make this totally awesome as it does need a face lift software wise after using my note 9. Also using Goodlock and all the Samsung customization apps within make this a great and super addition.
    cwbcpa likes this.
    03-19-2019 06:18 PM
    Yeah s pen is a must for me

Seeing as there is an s5e would think there would be a regular s5
    Don't count on it.
    03-19-2019 09:54 PM
    Goodlock and all the Samsung customization apps within make this a great and super addition.
    I never heard of Goodlock until you mentioned it, so I gave it a looksie. Doesnt' seem too shabby. I'm trying to figure out the notification shade settings though. The SmartThings notification maintains the white background regardless of what color schemes I create or select. Is there something I'm missing in the settings that will allow it to match the rest of the theme?
    Yesterday 09:35 AM
    Anybody here have the keyboard? Got the cover but not the keyboard

Worth getting the keyboard?
    Yesterday 10:10 AM
    Here's my thoughts on the keyboard case from a week or so ago:

I'll also throw my 2 cents out there regarding the keyboard. I saw a lot of critical reviews of the keyboard before buying, but so far I've been largely impressed by it. It's definitely a bit on the cramped side, but I'm adjusting quickly. I'm a decent size guy....5'11" with large-ish hands and I don't have much issue navigating the keyboard. Anyone with smaller hands should find it comfortable to use right from the start. I do find that when I'm trying to type out a couple of numbers or special characters, I sometimes might incidentally hit the onscreen home or back button with a stray finger. This could easily be rectified by hiding that bar completely, but I'm learning to adjust the way I hold my fingers. (Side note: I'm generally not this wordy in these forums, but this is giving me great practice with the keyboard. lol)

There's a Language button on the keyboard that for some reason I manage to keep catching with my right thumb whenever I go for the space bar. It's pretty pointless and I wish there was a way to do some key remapping on this thing because I would gladly disable that button completely along with the button that brings up an on screen keyboard. Not sure why I would need an on screen keyboard with I'm using the physical keyboard, but Sammy decided to put it there anyay. There's also an app drawer button just like the one found on Chromebooks. When you're on the Android side, that button wakes up the Google Assistant, but when you're on the DeX side it actually opens the app drawer. This is another one I'd like to remap if it were available. I can wake up the assistant with voice commands when I'm on the Android side so I'm not sure why I need a key to wake it up just so I can then give it verbal commands. Would much rather be able to remap it to open the app drawer in Android mode as well. Maybe someday...

Overall it's definitely not the worst mobile keyboard I've ever used. I've tried maybe a half dozen or so over the last 10 years and I'd actually say this one is the nicest so far. $150 is a steep price to pay though. Luckily I noticed Amazon was selling them yesterday for $102, so I went back to Best Buy and they price matched it and gave me a $48 credit back on my acct.
    Here's my thoughts on it today:

Still basically the same. I'm pretty much fully adjusted to the size of it now and don't have nearly as many mis-strokes or missed targets. Still a few, especially with keys I don't use as often, but I'd say I'm typing with like 95% accuracy.

I do have a couple new criticisms with it. S Pen holster placement. When the tablet is docked on the keyboard, the pen is holstered on the left side and the holster itself simply snaps into place. It is removable. Not sure why they didn't provide a spot on the right side of the keyboard to snap the holster to. I'm a righty, as is like 80% of the population. If you're going to limit placement of the pen, you'd think it would be on the right side instead of the left, but I see no reason why they didn't make it so the user could decide. Another new criticism is that when you aren't docked to the keyboard, the case isn't very comfortable to hold while using the tablet. It just doesn't quite fold up very nicely. I can tolerate this though because the majority of my usage is docked to the keyboard.

I've also got a few new positive observations as well. Since the keyboard is powered by the tablet, I was curious about battery drain. There isn't any...at least nothing noticeable. So that's good. The S Pen holster holds the pen securely (also despite the reviews I saw). When you put it in the holster, you need to give a little extra push and you'll hear and feel a little click. Haven't had the pen fall out once.

$150 is probably too much to pay for it. Had I not gotten the $48 price match, I may have opted to return it in favor of significantly cheaper alternatives, but I like it enough that I'm ok with having spent $100 on it...even though I will admit that I think that's still too much.
    ClintRo likes this.
    Yesterday 11:13 AM
57 123