Hey, so I'm torn between getting an S4 for $500 or an S5e for like $480.

The big thing I'm mulling over is whether 4 GB of RAM with a 835 processor is better orcworse than 6 GB of ram with that 670 processor.

What do you guys think?
    athomas917 likes this.
    05-11-2019 07:44 PM
    If you want the s pen and top of the line specs, you are better off waiting for the S5 which comes out later this year. Otherwise the s5e is the best bet.

The S4 came with Android O and already has had one update so it won't get anything past Android Q. The s5e has Android P out the box and will get 2 more major updates before os updates stop.

Check out the review Flossy Carter did for the s5e on YouTube. The s5e opened web pages faster than the S4.
    silverfang77 likes this.
    05-11-2019 08:32 PM
    Watch out for wifi antenna issue with the S5E
    05-12-2019 09:37 AM
    I have had the S5e for 5 days and I have to say, I am quite unhappy with it. It's buggy as all hell. Software updates on mine do not work. Samsung Cloud sync doesn't work and Samsung says it's a bug. It doesn't remember locked screen orientation on restart. And then the wifi antenna issue that was mentioned.

Also, I upgraded from a Samsung S3 Tab and am very unhappy with the new aspect ratio (taller and less wide). It's uncomfortable to use and hold in portrait mode as it is very top heavy. I don't know if the S5 will be the same aspect as the S4 and S5e, but I am tempted to return this S5e and wait for the S5 to come out.

-Gina
    05-19-2019 06:15 PM
    I have had the S5e for 5 days and I have to say, I am quite unhappy with it. It's buggy as all hell. Software updates on mine do not work. Samsung Cloud sync doesn't work and Samsung says it's a bug. It doesn't remember locked screen orientation on restart. And then the wifi antenna issue that was mentioned.

Also, I upgraded from a Samsung S3 Tab and am very unhappy with the new aspect ratio (taller and less wide). It's uncomfortable to use and hold in portrait mode as it is very top heavy. I don't know if the S5 will be the same aspect as the S4 and S5e, but I am tempted to return this S5e and wait for the S5 to come out.

-Gina
    Are you having any issue with WIFI when holding certain way?
    05-25-2019 12:48 PM
    No, I don't have any of the reported wifi issues - I tried holding it all ways while monitoring the signal strength to my access point and it didn't change. I do have it in a silicone case (just the back) so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I received my new S5e and all the issues have disappeared - the first one was definitely defective. My return is on it's way to B&H and I will update the thread when I get my refund (and/or if I have to pay the restocking fee).

-Gina
    TMavC5 and quadtronix like this.
    05-25-2019 01:39 PM
    No, I don't have any of the reported wifi issues - I tried holding it all ways while monitoring the signal strength to my access point and it didn't change. I do have it in a silicone case (just the back) so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I received my new S5e and all the issues have disappeared - the first one was definitely defective. My return is on it's way to B&H and I will update the thread when I get my refund (and/or if I have to pay the restocking fee).

-Gina
    Thank Gina for the quick response.
    05-25-2019 04:32 PM

-Gina
    Any guess on the price of the S5? If it has the same basic insides as the S5e with just a SPen my guess would be $499 low end. I don't think this will be the specs of the S5.

If the S5 follows the S4 and uses an 845 instead of an 855, then I would guess the same as the S4 at launch. Samsung may charge a $50 premium over the S4.

If the S5 has an 855 and 6-8 GB my guess would be at least $100 more than the S4 at launch - maybe more, maybe close to the Note 10 price. Low end, $699-$750, high end $850-$1,000.

Right now my bet is on the S5 being one of the most expensive Android tablets released by Samsung. The tablet market these days is not that big. I think Samsung is more interested in keeping the price high than trying to drive volume on higher end devices in a shrinking market.
    05-26-2019 12:10 AM
    I have the opportunity to purchase a new S4 for $469. Very tempting. I know the S5 will have killer specs and a higher price.
    The question is whether to get an S4 now, or wait for the S5. Most likely will be September before we could get our hands on the new devices.
    05-27-2019 07:10 AM
    I have the opportunity to purchase a new S4 for $469. Very tempting. I know the S5 will have killer specs and a higher price.
    The question is whether to get an S4 now, or wait for the S5. Most likely will be September before we could get our hands on the new devices.
    I have the S3 and the S4 and I can tell you that despite the difference in processors, I do not perceive much difference in speed. I believe that the same would be between and S4 and an S5. Actually, I am not sure that Samsung can improve this tablet in any substantial way, considering that the S3 and the S4 are so close in performance and other specs.
    05-28-2019 04:26 PM
    I have the S3 and the S4 and I can tell you that despite the difference in processors, I do not perceive much difference in speed. I believe that the same would be between and S4 and an S5. Actually, I am not sure that Samsung can improve this tablet in any substantial way, considering that the S3 and the S4 are so close in performance and other specs.
    I fully agree. I just bought a S4 256 GB. Amazon had a great price. I am a big S Pen user. My first Note was the Note 8 table. Later I bought a Note 4 and have been using the Note 12.2 tablet with my Note 8 phone. I find the Note12. 2 still performs well, but it is almost impossible to hold and take notes.

I am sure the Note S5 will be nice. Samsung may even use an 855 with 6 or 8 GB of memory. I am not sure how I would even notice the differnce. My main use for the S4 is to use ms office Apps. I am a big user of Onenote and Teams. I don't have a single game installed, but I might install Solitare.

Why did I not wait? I have some mad money now ( unexpected work bonus) and the S4 was on sale. Most important the s4 meets my needs. I am sure an S3 would as meet my performance needs but the S4 price was right. I am not saying my choice is right for others. Just saying what works for me.
    05-30-2019 09:06 PM
    I struggled with this same dilemma for weeks. Last weekend, Best Buy had the S4 64gb version on sale for $499, with an additional $100 off for student discount*; netting the price down to $399. This is the same price as the S5e; making it a no-brainer to pick up the S4.

*Note: you do NOT need an .edu account to sign up for Best Buy student discounts; they are available to everyone, and no verification is required.

Coming from the S3, I can tell you that the software on the S4 is better, and the screen size/ratio is much more suited for media consumption and surfing. Anything more than that, and I grab the Pixel Slate; the real workhorse.
    06-11-2019 08:49 AM
    I struggled with this same dilemma for weeks. Last weekend, Best Buy had the S4 64gb version on sale for $499, with an additional $100 off for student discount*; netting the price down to $399. This is the same price as the S5e; making it a no-brainer to pick up the S4.

*Note: you do NOT need an .edu account to sign up for Best Buy student discounts; they are available to everyone, and no verification is required.

Coming from the S3, I can tell you that the software on the S4 is better, and the screen size/ratio is much more suited for media consumption and surfing. Anything more than that, and I grab the Pixel Slate; the real workhorse.
    My main use for Samsung tablets is the SPen. I use my tablets extensively to take notes. Samsung by far has the best pen and handwriting recognition.

Zero interest in the Pixel slate. I have no need for a 12.2 Chrome based device. Far to big and heavy to hold and take notes. I have a Samsung pro 12.2 Note and it is too awkward to hand hold and take notes. My main apps are MS Apps on my tablet, O365, Outlook, Onenote, Teams, Onedrive. The Android apps work great. I can't think of a single Chrome app I would ever use.

Google is too restrictive on their devices. They are too much like Apple and charge a lot for little bits of storage. My s4 has 512 GB of storage. 256GB of fast storage and 256 for documents and media.

Just explaining my needs and usage. If a pen is not important the S5e looks like a great device.
    06-12-2019 01:02 AM
    My main use for Samsung tablets is the SPen. I use my tablets extensively to take notes. Samsung by far has the best pen and handwriting recognition.

Zero interest in the Pixel slate. I have no need for a 12.2 Chrome based device. Far to big and heavy to hold and take notes. I have a Samsung pro 12.2 Note and it is too awkward to hand hold and take notes. My main apps are MS Apps on my tablet, O365, Outlook, Onenote, Teams, Onedrive. The Android apps work great. I can't think of a single Chrome app I would ever use.

Google is too restrictive on their devices. They are too much like Apple and charge a lot for little bits of storage. My s4 has 512 GB of storage. 256GB of fast storage and 256 for documents and media.

Just explaining my needs and usage. If a pen is not important the S5e looks like a great device.
    I use my tablets for media consumption and surfing. The pen; while a nice added bonus, is not a must-have for me. For me, the S4 is more of a toy than a serious productivity device.

The Slate is my go-to, as my needs sound like they are more business-centric than yours; and the Android apps are merely adequate. For power users such as myself who spend a lot of time in Excel; a full keyboard and big screen are a necessity. Further, the full Chrome browser is much more robust as compared to the Android version.

Google is meant to be cloud based, so storage on-device is not a big deal to me. If needed, a USB-C flash drive is a handy tool to have; but most everything I need can be accomplished in Drive and accessed from any device, anywhere. Combine that with Plex and Media Monkey from our home server, and all needs for us are met.

It sounds as though your use case scenario is far different from mine, and both of us expect different abilities from different devices.
    06-12-2019 05:31 PM
    So I have the Tab S3 and I just picked up a used Tab S5e 128gb from eBay for $350. It came in the box with all the accessories. I really like it more than my Tab s3. I just use my tablet for media consumption. I don't really use the S pen, but it would be nice to have the ability to use the s pen with the S5e.

For me the battery life is far better than the s3. With the S3, I would have to turn off wifi after use to get the tablet to last. With this tablet I have not turned off wifi and I can get 5 days with regular use (youtube, reading and streaming movies)
    07-05-2019 08:04 AM