DEX and Remote Desktop

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I work from home via vpn and remote desktop. Today I decided I would use S4 rather than my employer supplied laptop. Everything worked same as always. I used the Samsung multi-adapter for HDMI and a USB adapter for wireless keyboard. Just removed it from laptop and inserted it into the adapter next to HDMI cable. I actually had a more stable connection than normal. None of the all too frequent pauses while typing before learning which keystrokes did or didn't register.

Out of curiosity I switched from Tab S4 to my S10e cell phone after lunch. It worked exactly as the tablet did. I could even receive phone calls and text without losing connection.

One puzzling issue was that sometimes the left shift key would toggle on caps lock using the keyboard cover by Samsung. Using the regular wireless keyboard the left shift never toggled the caps lock, but the right shift key would.

Nice to know that an adapter you can hold in the palm of your hand, along with an HDMI cable and an available monitor is all that is needed with either the phone or the tablet to be as productive as if I was sitting in the office. I don't think DEX is receiving the recognition it deserves. Note that the adapter is not a special DEX adapter, but a USB-C to HDMI adapter which can be purchased for less than $40.