Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 Dex desktop replacement?

Fanflame

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Having purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 SM-T830 4GB at the end of last year with the view of replacing my beloved and trusted Win7pro Dell business laptop, I've been totally underwhelmed by DeX and its capabilities.

I thought that I would log on a new account here to ask questions and maybe get some pointers from other users.

One issue I have is that I place the S4 onto my Pogo Desk Dock, plug it into my Multiport adaptor which connects various drives, HD 23" Screen, Keyboard and Mouse, and begin to work... after a short while the S4 is fully charged and the blessed 'spinning disk GIF with 100% Charged' takes over the screen of the tablet. It only lasts for about 10 seconds but then it keeps popping up every couple of minutes - it is driving me mad!

Dos anyone know how to turn off the notification of 100% charged?

Thank you to all positive contributions and suggestions.

Have a great week.

Fanflame

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You cannot disable that notification, but I fear the problem might be in the charger (in this case, dock) you're using. If using the original charger, when you reach 100%, the tablet just keeps powering from the adapter (so the pop-up doesn't show up more than once). If, for some reason, either the charger isn't delivering enough power, then the tablet would start consuming more energy than it can charge, and the pop up will come back when the battery reaches 100% again. Also, if the dock or the charger 'sense' the device is charged and it just stops delivering power or slows down to a trickle charge that is not enough for the tablet to run in power mode, you'd get the same thing once the dock begins charging at normal levels again.

Fanflame

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for the follow-up SpookDroid.

The Samsung Simple Docking Charging Dock Pogo is a genuine item purchased from Samsung.

This morning I found another post saying how to linit the charge to 85% and made those changes but it just did the same. So I am running off the battery.

I'll write another post in a moment saying a bit more of my dissatisfaction with Dex. Maybe I am doing something totally unexpected or wrong.

Again thanks for the advice.

Fanflame

Fanflame

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 DeX simply not worth it...

As previously posted I purchased the more expensive S4 so I could use it as a desktop replacement to my trusted and now 10 year old Dell Windows 7 Professional laptop which is now unsupported (I did upgrade it to paid version of Win10 but didn't like to so went back to 7pro).

I must admit I have spent hours - no days - trying to work with DeX and simply cannot do it. I have tried using Chrome, Firefox, Opera and Brave, and all fall far short of what a true browser in Windows offers.

I have many years as an IT professional and cannot believe that Samsung have released such an untested and overpriced 'solution' as a desktop replacement. It simply doesn't work for the IT professional. But I can see that using it as a basic tablet would be okay for basic browsing or inputing of text on forms.

Strangely I can write on here okay although the window is a little small. I cannot use the move to resize the text windo although I can stretch the actual app to full screen. But when I try to do anything like editing a website or administering an online account - it simply doesn't give me access - I either get kicked out or I get a blank screen.

With my Bluetooth move I have no right click options even when left click selecting text. If I try in Gmail to select text it actually drags the whole screen to either left or right... I had a migraine yesterday because the hours of frustration have caused me to explode literally! I didn't know I knew so many swear words!

I have simply come to the end of my tether with it... and all the money I have wasted on the new kit to make my 'new' desktop complete.

Sad really. This is not meant to be negative to anyone else just trying to explain my imense frustration.

Sorry to rant on here maybe it will answer someone else's query as to why they can't do what they think they should be able to do on a desktop replacement.

I think Android Central is a great little forum - thank you!

Wishing you all the very best.

bill-e

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
You can run Linux on DeX and get the full desktop experience with Chrome and LibreOffice and for an Android browser with tabs there's the buggy Desktop Browser for Samsung DeX (Flow net)

But yes, DeX is not a windows replacement.

Fanflame

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi Bill-e

I've never used Linux so would know where to start, however I have now purchased a new laptop and ditched the S4. Although I'll use it for a basic tablet somewhere, sometime.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Fanflame

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't know that Samsung ever claimed DeX to be a Windows replacement/environment. You do have MS Suite and other Android apps with Windows version. Another app not may be important as an IT person is a fully functioning Team Viewer set of apps. If you have Windows IT Admin specific apps, and there is many, if you can't access via a browser you're of of luck. And if your remote, you're stuck with a small screen. No large screen Android tablets. I know that can be important. My son has his own IT company and everyone uses at least 2 large screen flat panels except on the road, then they use the large screen Dell LTs.

If you have little need for Windows only apps, I'd give DeX a little more time. The Samsung screens are great, S-Pen is a great help in many ways, Dolby Atmos is surprisingly good, you have the MS Suite with Outlook (a bit crippled), oneNote and OneDrive. All of the Android apps can read the common file formats. But no, DeX is certainly not Windows.

Fanflame

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
Thanks Denis, Yes I have a large screen connected but haven't touched the S4 since I last wrote. It simply isn't good enough. However the sound was great, but truthfully a total waste of moneu in my eyes.

Thank you though for you imput.

God bless you in these uncharted dsys of Coronavirus. As Spoke would say 'live long and prosper'...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol