Samsung s5e will not assign IP address- isolated to just the tablet. Question

MizMelzy76

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Need some help brainstorming. So at work I use my tablet(Galaxy Tab s5e) because I can't have my phone on me. I set up another router as a signal extender so I can get internet down stairs ( I work in a day care) This has worked just fine until today (7months) . I noticed that it wouldn't give me an ip address at all. So I couldn't connect. I figured my router was to blame and had someone restart it. I have google home's connected for music. Someone asked for a song, and when I told them it probably wouldn't play because the internet wasn't working on the router, then it starts playing music. I also noticed my watch connected to my router as well. So when I had a chance I tried to connect to the main router (that mine is rebroadcasting the signal from) and I could not get connected either to that one. Both are giving me the issue that they can't get an IP address, or I get connection error. Now these are completely separate routers. I asked my boss if they were having any issues with connecting on their end, and no one had any issues. They all could connect to the main router. I had them test to see if they could connect to my router that's the extender, and they could connect too. So everyone else can connect to these two routers but me. So then I thought maybe it's my tablet. I reset the network settings and all the other settings on my tablet. No go still can't connect. So thought okay it's got to be my tablet somehow. When I got home I tried connecting to my routers at home, and I can connect just fine. So it almost seems like something is blocking my tablet from getting an IP address. But if that were the case it would happen on one not both routers. Because I have access to my router that's the extender, I obviously didn't block my tablet. I only have the password for my router. So only my tablet, two google home mini's and a watch connect to the router. I would have to go in and block it manually. I know that my Samsung will give random mac addresses for security, I tried just using the tablets actual mac address and that still didn't work. I am at a loss as to why I can't connect to my work router or my own router that's the extender? My last ditch effort would be to reformat the tablet and start over. But I think that would be the last resort. Is there some setting that I am not aware of that may be off?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Wi-fi extenders are notorious for being wonky, and it could just happen with certain devices. Did you already try rebooting the extender?

MizMelzy76

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes I rebooted the extender multiple times. But if it was just the extender why would it also happen on the main router? I don't get why everyone else can connect accept me? I am going to bring a different tablet to see if it can connect today. If it does and mine still is giving me an issue then I am starting to think it is my tablet and a factory reset may be necessary. It's just weird that Tuesday it was fine and all of a sudden Wednesday this problem occurred and it's happening on both routers. Also I tried going in and manually setting the IP. When I went in to more settings it didn't give me an option to do that at all. When I got home I looked at the wifi settings when connected to my router at home and it did give me that option to set a static ip address. Which is weird also. I did check to see if there was an update to my tablet for the system and no. No updates at all. So not sure what exactly is going on.