Anyone else is seeing this (USA): A new S5e tablet direct from Samsung. When I try to get the April 1 security update it fails with: "Your current software version isn't supported. Visit a service center".

I also see: Google Play | Settings | Play Protect certification: "Device is not certified"

This is a stock S5e tablet ... not "certified"

Anyone can explain why?
    05-10-2019 02:07 AM
    Mine says certified...

I got it just yesterday. But it says my software is up to date with the March patch. Where are you seeing April?
    05-10-2019 04:14 AM
    I don't see that there is an update. But I also get the "your current software version isn't supported" message if I check for an update. Anyone know why?
    05-11-2019 01:28 PM
    https://www.xda-developers.com/how-t...-google-error/

I would call Samsung and demand a replacement. This most certainly is a certified device.

Unless maybe it's a fake?
    05-11-2019 06:28 PM
    Mine says it's certified. I was having issues earlier but I did a factory reset and it seems to have fixed it.
    05-12-2019 12:58 AM
    Mine says it's certified and now today when I check for update it says software is up to date. Guess it was a glitch.
    05-12-2019 08:02 AM
    I am having issues doing Android Software updates on my S5e. I click update and it spins around for 1 minute saying "Registering Device" and then says "Registration Failed". I factory reset the tab and no change.

It is my opinion that the S5e is buggy as all hell.

-Gina
    05-19-2019 07:18 PM
    The S5e is not buggy as hell in the least.

YOURS may be. Have Samsung fix it, or exchange it for a new one.
    05-20-2019 09:23 PM
    That may be true that mine is bad - I'm deciding whether to return and get a new one or have Samsung fix. Some of the issues I'm seeing:

1. Android won't update (errors in the Software Update area) even after a Factory Reset
    2. Samsung Cloud won't sync data
    3. Tab doesn't remember it's locked portrait orientation on a restart - it flips it and I have to unlock and put it back how I like it
    4. Samsung Members forum won't allow posts (comes up with an error)
    5. OneDrive app thinks it's on a 4G connection when the tab is wifi only
    6. Tab is referred to as a phone in many popup dialogs and interfaces - not sure if this is just typos or if it goes deeper than that (e.g. the apps actually think the tab is a phone)

-Gina
    05-20-2019 09:31 PM
    Sounds like you may have a faulty unit. Mine runs smoothly as butter.
    05-20-2019 10:30 PM
    I just initiated an exchange with B&H Photo (where I bought it). I'm so relieved to hear mine is faulty - I was VERY disappointed in the tab! I'm excited to get the new one. Thanks all for your input.
    05-20-2019 10:32 PM
    I got mine from B&H, their first shipment. It works fine.

I'll be curious to hear how your exchange process goes. I like B&H, but am always wary about returns/exchanges.
    05-22-2019 10:38 AM
    I like B&H for larger tech purchases because there is no sales tax for me in AZ.

I'm curious about the exchange process as well. I actually returned the first one and just re-ordered a 2nd because I didn't want to have to wait for them to receive the old tab (a week) and then resend a new one (3+ business days to process, then up to a week).

I am slightly nervous as their site said they *can* charge a 15%+ restocking fee and that would be massive with a $475 tab. Getting the RMA was easy - I just had to email them and fill out a form - then they sent a FedEx label. All good so far.

I'll update this thread when I get the new tab (on Friday) and when they receive the other one as a return.

Cheers,
    Gina
    05-22-2019 12:21 PM
    That may be true that mine is bad - I'm deciding whether to return and get a new one or have Samsung fix. Some of the issues I'm seeing:

1. Android won't update (errors in the Software Update area) even after a Factory Reset
    2. Samsung Cloud won't sync data
    3. Tab doesn't remember it's locked portrait orientation on a restart - it flips it and I have to unlock and put it back how I like it
    4. Samsung Members forum won't allow posts (comes up with an error)
    5. OneDrive app thinks it's on a 4G connection when the tab is wifi only
    6. Tab is referred to as a phone in many popup dialogs and interfaces - not sure if this is just typos or if it goes deeper than that (e.g. the apps actually think the tab is a phone)

-Gina
    Have you attempted to reflash your tablet using Odin and a copy of your device's region specific firmware?
    05-23-2019 12:23 PM
    No, that sounds like a lot of trouble - I am returning the tablet and will try a fresh one (arrives Friday). I think this one was indeed bad (or a bad image) since it froze less than an hour out of the box and required a hard reset.

-Gina
    05-23-2019 12:48 PM
    New tab works awesome - and the return at B&H went very smoothly. They credited the full amount within a day of receiving the defective device with no restocking fee.

-Gina
    05-31-2019 01:02 PM
    Anyone else is seeing this (USA): A new S5e tablet direct from Samsung. When I try to get the April 1 security update it fails with: "Your current software version isn't supported. Visit a service center".

I also see: Google Play | Settings | Play Protect certification: "Device is not certified"

This is a stock S5e tablet ... not "certified"

Anyone can explain why?
    UPDATE - Samsung confirmed that they sent me a "new" S5e with a firmware version that is "not authorized" (I suspect it's a beta as I received one of the first S5e tablets). The only solution is for me to send the tablet back. They said they will re-flash it and send it back to me in 7-14 days.

I asked that they to send me a replacement and I'll return this one to which they said it's not their policy. I even offered my CC as a guarantee to no avail. I then asked them to send me the F/W update and I'll update it and they still said no.

I explained that it's their fault but they were inflexible (sigh).

So ... is the F/W available (US version) so that I can flash this S5e with the proper F/W?

I hate to have to return the S5e and wait for them to change the F/W as I am receiving the updates ... for now.

Note that this S5e still shows as not supported in Google Play so I might encounter issues in the future. Today it works just fine.
    06-03-2019 03:15 AM
    About the issue with "Not Certified". I had the similar issue with Google Play Protect certification, but was able to resolve it by clearing data for the Play Store app.
    06-06-2019 12:02 AM
    About the issue with "Not Certified". I had the similar issue with Google Play Protect certification, but was able to resolve it by clearing data for the Play Store app.
    By "cl;ear data" did you mean wipe the downloads and restart?

In any event, it is odd that SAMSUNG confirmed that they sent me a non-official tablet. They admit it ... I now need to look for ODIN and where I can find the USA version of the S5e O/S
    06-06-2019 01:01 AM
    By "cl;ear data" did you mean wipe the downloads and restart?

In any event, it is odd that SAMSUNG confirmed that they sent me a non-official tablet. They admit it ... I now need to look for ODIN and where I can find the USA version of the S5e O/S
    In Settings go to to Apps->Google Play Store, select Storage and Clear Data. No restart was needed, just open Play Store app again.
    06-06-2019 06:58 PM