DeX on the Tab S5e

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I tested DeX out today and learned that you can't project to a TV or monitor wirelessly when in DeX mode.

I tried both my Samsung smart TV and a computer monitor using my Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.

To me this is a important shortcoming, since being able to use DeX on a large monitor or TV would be really useful.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
While the native mirroring option is disabled when in DeX mode (I assume they opted for this for performance reasons since anything mirrored over wireless has inherent latency), you can still achieve this with the Google Home app (formerly known as Cast). Just fire up the Home app, tap the Account icon on the bottom, and in the 'Additional' section select Mirror Device (you'll get a warning saying such feature is not optimized for your device) and mirror away! Just tried it last night and it works (just bear in mind you do have that latency going and since you're mirroring, the screen on your tablet must stay on and cannot be used as an external trackpad/keyboard or as a stand-alone as 'normal' DeX does on an external monitor.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I tried it and it didn't work for me. It said that no compatible devices were found. In other words, it only works with Chromecast devices and not Miracast devices. I have the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter which uses Miracast.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ah! Yeah, Home only works with Chromecast. However, if that works, you might be able to find a mirroring app that works with Miracast. Maybe AllCast? Haven't used any of those in a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae