Frozen tablet setup

MikeHong

May 17, 2022
Visit site
Hi all, sorry if I'm in the wrong place.

I got a Galaxy Tab S8+ last week and went through the setup process. I thought everything was done but a few days later I noticed a message in the drop-down menu saying setup in progress, tap here to finish setup. When I tap to finish the setup, I get the black screen with a message saying "Getting your tablet ready... This may take a few minutes".

The screen just freezes at this point. Several times I've left it like that for an hour or more and nothing happens. The four dots that are supposed to spin don't move, the home and back buttons do nothing. The third navigation button and drop-down menu is all I can do to get out of it.

The tablet seems to be working fine, otherwise. It's just that notification won't go away. My Internet connection is strong, all my accounts are set up and logged in, I even tried rebooting a few times... Am I missing something?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Your post in correct Forum

If you long press the notification any options come up to stop,delete?

MikeHong

May 17, 2022
Visit site
Long press gives me the option to "Deliver quietly", "Turn off notifications" is greyed out. Under that is "Settings" and "Done"... If I go into Settings, I get the Notification Categories for Android Setup... Setup, Setup Portal, and Setup Portal again. All three are turned on and I can't turn them off.

I just tried tapping on it again. It asked me to log into my Google account and then froze at a black screen.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Long press gives me the option to "Deliver quietly", "Turn off notifications" is greyed out. Under that is "Settings" and "Done"... If I go into Settings, I get the Notification Categories for Android Setup... Setup, Setup Portal, and Setup Portal again. All three are turned on and I can't turn them off.

I just tried tapping on it again. It asked me to log into my Google account and then froze at a black screen.
If you can get back into its settings then go storage clear data then force stop it

MikeHong

May 17, 2022
Visit site
If you can get back into its settings then go storage clear data then force stop it

Ah, there we go! Took a little searching around until I found a force stop option. It got rid of the notification. Hopefully that was just a minor, weird glitch and I'm not missing anything.

Thanks for the help!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ah, there we go! Took a little searching around until I found a force stop option. It got rid of the notification. Hopefully that was just a minor, weird glitch and I'm not missing anything.

Thanks for the help!
Yeah a little glitch that got hung up , your welcome

catplugcard

May 26, 2022
Visit site
I've just received my Tab S8+ this morning and had exactly this problem and from googling - it doesn't seem uncommon. Just to recap my experience - connected to rock solid wifi on a 1Gbps fibre connetion. Did the setup completely - signed in to Google/chose search provider/etc - didn't sign into Samsung at that point.

I spent an hour on web chat to Samsung UK support who weren't any help and their only solution was to return the device for a replacement. However - beware - if you want to do this option then you have to take the device to your local delivery collection point and then after they receive the device back it will take them 7 - 10 days to replace it which seems fairly terrible for a premium priced product.

Having read this post - I went Settings -> Apps, enabled "Show System Apps", found "Android Setup" and did a force stop and it got rid of the message. Unfortuately, the message comes back after a reboot so the problem is masked rather than fixed so I'm not sure if I'll be keeping the tablet at this point!

lyun17

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
This same issue happened to me with the Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra. Every time I tried to complete the set up it would log my tab out of my Google account. I ended up factory resetting it and went smooth the second time setting it up. Luckily I did this the day I received it so it didn't take too much time. Now it's behaving normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci