galaxy tab wifi only (gt-p1010) gingerbread update (or lack of)

no1much

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: galaxy tab wifi only (gt-p1010) gingerbread update (or lack o

Perhaps the inferior proc and graphics of the WiFi only model vs. the carrier branded US models make the Gingerbread upgrade/update problematic?

JStiner

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps the inferior proc and graphics of the WiFi only model vs. the carrier branded US models make the Gingerbread upgrade/update problematic?

At first I rolled my eyes at this comment. Surely they wouldn't pull a bait and switch on wifi only models

http://www.droiddog.com/android-blo...i-only-galaxy-tab-not-what-they-appear-to-be/

But they did, after this tab I will not be buying another Samsung product and I hope enough people get pissed off about it and file complaints. That's some sketchy business practice.

Sent from under your mother's bed, snorting pixi sticks, eating nachos with a rooted GT-P1010:Froyo

prezmater

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Lets be fair to Samsung. The details of the wifi only model were available before you bought it. Its not Samsungs fault that you are unhappy with a product you bought without researching.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

JStiner

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Lets be fair to Samsung. The details of the wifi only model were available before you bought it. Its not Samsungs fault that you are unhappy with a product you bought without researching.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Fair is fair but misleading is not fair.
Past flipping back and forth on spec sheets the common buyer wouldn't know there is a difference.

Is it ultimately my fault for not fine tooth combing the spec sheets, yes
But I shouldn't have to. The obviously, at least stared difference, is the 3G capable or not.

Sent from under your mother's bed, snorting pixi sticks, eating nachos with a rooted GT-P1010:Froyo

JStiner

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Beside we're told it can't be loaded why can't a GB update meant for a CDMA or GSM tab be loaded on a wifi tab?

Can the hardware not handle GB?

I some how convinced my tab it was an HTC Vision for a week. Facebook's site even thought my tab was a Vision. Has anyone tried making a cloning or mask app to make a GTP1010 think its a GTP1000?

I'm still learning, so forgive me for not using correct terms.

no1much

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

im not an expert but many people have said there should be no problem ,
in fact people have released unofficial firmware updates for the tab that i could slap on it now, but i dont want to risk bricking the thing .

prezmaster , if you look at two products that look the same , are called the same thing , but have the difference that you dont have to sell your soul to a mobile company, most people wouldn't think there's much difference. maybe if it was called galaxy tab and galaxy tab lite id be more inclined to agree with you.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

You don't have to sell your soul to a mobile company - ebay is your friend. But otherwise I agree with you - it was really somewhat sleazy to not point out that the price point was achieved by cutting corners and not just eliminating the 3G radio. I didn't realize something was wrong until after my home screen redraws (with full compliment of app icons) were taking forever and discovery that HID profile did not exist to enable pairing with my bluetooth keyboard (which was a problem with my Sprint tab and was part of the reason for getting the WiFi tab - the HID functionality WAS NOT something that was obvious from a simple spec sheet comparison BTW and the news of its BT crippleness did not filter through the blogoshpere for quite some time - AFTER MY PURCHASE). I then did my "post purchase" research (I know, I know) and found out the ugly truth regarding the proc and GPU and eventually the truth about the crippled BT HID profile. I any event, though the WiFi unit still has its uses and I kept it. I've read in other forums that an update is forthcoming for the P-1010 but its probably not GB and its probably not going to get here much before Xmas. There's obviously not much an update can do for inferior hardware, but even if its just a FROYO update that restores full BT HID functionality I would be happy.

Last edited:

no1much

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

call me a spoilt brat but i took mine back to currys today . just wasnt happy with it. the straw that broke the camels back was the fact i had ordered the tv out cable because id read it was supported to find out it was yet ANOTHER thing samsung had left out of the p1010, to me that was just taking the p.. urm ....mick .instore its called galaxy tab wifi only which leads you to believe thats the only difference, i didnt see any of these differences on the box

sgx530 (slower than the newer sgx540 in the 3g version)
weaker gpu
bluetooth 2.1 (rather than 3.0 on the 3g version)
no tv-out
zero support
snow balls chance in hell of an update to ginge

will never buy samsung again if they are going to resort to these del boy tactics

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

call me a spoilt brat but i took mine back to currys today . just wasnt happy with it. the straw that broke the camels back was the fact i had ordered the tv out cable because id read it was supported to find out it was yet ANOTHER thing samsung had left out of the p1010, to me that was just taking the p.. urm ....mick .instore its called galaxy tab wifi only which leads you to believe thats the only difference, i didnt see any of these differences on the box

sgx530 (slower than the newer sgx540 in the 3g version)
weaker gpu
bluetooth 2.1 (rather than 3.0 on the 3g version)
no tv-out
zero support
snow balls chance in hell of an update to ginge

will never buy samsung again if they are going to resort to these del boy tactics

Wow - No TV Out is news to me but I confirmed it is the case on my Wifi tab. Probably has something to do with the lower end GPU. But egregious corner cutting nevertheless, the lower price point not commensurate with these omissions. I do not blame you for returning it.

JStiner

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok so where is the link to the thread to root this thing?

Download Amazon app store, then download Z4

You have to do a cycle of atemoted rooting and rebooting and it will after a few attempts root the GTP1010

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

<---- Still hopefull that the P1010 will get GB by year's end....

alhaines

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

I like my P1010 but without HID & TV-out it is not worth what I paid for it! I installed Netflix today and the value went up a little due to acceptable video.
Still, Samsung is off my list of trusted Manufacturers.
Like Sony and Apple they think we stupid Americans will pay for what ever crap they put in a box and agree to any terms they come up with. It will be a cold day in Hades before they another dime out of me!

eldod36

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

lt will be a cold winter in Minnesota without any
Gingerbread for my little Galaxy Tab 7" P 1010
Will have to switch brands to eat my Icecream.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae